pre-opt questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JG777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at a UC and I'm taking a year off after I graduate. During that year off I'm planning to take anatomy, physiology, and microbiology over at a community college. I didn't want to take theses courses via "extension" (taking classes at the UC) because it's way too expensive. Will it matter if I take these at a JC or do admissions prefer that I take it at the university that i matriculated from?

Also, does any one have advice on what else I should do to make my application stronger? I'm kind of hesitant to ask the admissions counselors because I know a guy who kept talking to the admissions counselors on what he can do to strengthen his application, and every time he applied, he was denied. =/.

My gpa is hovering around a 2.6; i am hoping to get around 350-360 on the OAT (i'm trying!); i do research that is related to the field of optometry; i have 2 jobs, one in which i work for an ophthalmologist; i volunteer for the mobile eye clinic; and i was part community outreach project for 2 years; i shadowed my optometrist twice (i'm planning to shadow other optometrists as well).
I don't know what else I should be doing, aside from the OAT scores. As far as gpa improvement, i know that if i got all A's the rest of the year, I'll go up to a 2.7. (sucks)

If anyone has or had a similar profile as mine, and has gotten in Optometry school, please let me know...i'd would like to hear what you did to get in....

thanks!!!!!!

-jen

Members don't see this ad.

Many people graduate from college, and then take pre-reqs at another school, even at a JC, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just try to do your best in the pre-reqs.

I would recommend trying to get your GPA up higher, and aim for all A's. Also, focus on doing well on your OAT. You certainly have a lot of experience in the field of Optometry, and that looks good to have.

Try to get good LOR's from some of these OD's that you know. Again, just focus right now getting your GPA up, and doing well on the OAT.

Good Luck! :)

Well, to help cheer ya up... I only had a 3.1 in undergrad.. then I worked for two years in biotech....then, I decided to go back to OD school. Finished all my prereqs at a JC (out in northern CA no less).. but got a 4.0 to prove I was serious about this going back to grad school thing. I also worked for a private OD office for a year as their head receptionist All the OD schools I talked to were great about recommending which classes at which JC's would count for them. SCCO was ESPECIALLY helpful. I scored right around where you hope to on the OAT.. applied to three schools. (UCB, SCCO, and UHCO) My only rejection was UCB. With your GPA Berkeley's a BIG long shot with your stats... but worth a shot!! You never know unless you apply.. and in the long run.. what's another fews essays and fifty buck application fees!!?? GOOD LUCK !! It IS do-able with your stats.. just bust butt on the OAT.. study study study and don't let them tell you you can't do it!! By going back to school you've already got a leg up on other students by knowing exactly what you want to do and being determined to get there. Let us know if you have any other questions.. we're here to help!! :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the replies.....

would you think it is necessary to re-take some courses that i got C's in? for example, organic chem and bio?

i dont' know if that will help my gpa because i'm only going to finish up 3 pre-reqs at a jc next summer, after i graduate.

thanks....

~jen

I wouldn't retake courses that you got C's in. Instead, take an upper level bio or chem course, to show that you can handle the work. But its up to you.