Pre-optometry experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisdar08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am in my freshman year in college and wanting to go into Optometry school at either Houston or the new school in San Antonio. I've been reading several threads and several people say that having great volunteer hours and shadowing experince and leadership, etc looks great on applications. So I was wondering what are some of your ideal volunteer hours, shadowing hours and other things that would look excellent on an application for optometry school. I know there will be several different opinions and viewpoints and variable but please try to give me a straight answer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to UHCO and I worked at an optometry office over one summer for about 15 weeks for 20+ hours a week. I also did a practicum course where I shadowed every week for a 2 hour credit class. So I had a minimum of 400 hours of experience. One thing that I would recommend is to join a pre-optometry/pre-professional club on campus and if you want to go to Houston attending Optometry day which is in March or April is necessary. There is also a TOA convention in Feb., last year it was in Austin, that allows POPS groups to go and you can meet a lot of people from UHCO admissions. If you have any other questions about UHCO you can PM me.

I didn't apply to Houston or the new school so I can't talk specifically about what they are looking for but I can give you my opinion. I have been working in an optical store for over a year now and if you get a chance to do that I would say take it! I have learned a lot about the field and it just reaffirms my decision to go this route when I go to work every day.

I would also suggest shadowing not only many hours but also in a lot of different places. I got to see now only private practice, but corporate, single owned, joint owned and also a VA hospital. Getting different experiences in shadowing not only shows that you are interested, but it helps you formulate what type of practice you are thinking of being involved in one day. This helps out on your applications and also gives you a lot to talk about during your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Special Olympics in my state does volunteer vision screenings in proximity to where the event takes place. I already had some op-tech experience when I went, but the optometrists who run it gladly teach you what you need to know prior to the vision screenings.

Also, there are a lot of other cool screenings opportunities out there like air show screenings and things like that.

Optometrists are always getting panflits and things in the mail asking for volunteer help, ask them and I'm sure you'll get some dates for things that I've mentioned.

UHCO also has a TEXOCOP summer program. I know that this looks really good on the application plus you will be able to get to know a lot of the staff. Some applicants even get admitted without having to interview. I also agree that you should shadow in some different optometry settings. One of the optometrist I worked for was really involved in the community and let me go with him to screen at a nursing home and health fair.

it might help make your working/shadowing experience more enjoyable if you looked at it as a way to broaden your experience and knowledge in a career field youre interested instead of something to stick on an application. there is no "ideal". just what's right for you. as long as you can show what you've learned.

join POPS, do vision screening volunteer stuff, work as an opt tech full time any summer break you are available. if you cant find a job, ask if you can shadow. working/shadowing is also a great way to get answers on any career related questions you may have on the field (what's the life style, the pay, business and management questions, blablabla) and not to mention a nice way to make money.

first and foremost, join POPS. great way to find job openings as many local doctors go there first for employment opportunities.

not trying to lecture or nag, but dont go through life doing things cause it "looks good" or youre "suppose to". do it 'cause you want to. 'cause you're curious. 'cause it fascinates you and youre passionate about it. you'll be happier that way.

join POPS, do vision screening volunteer stuff, work as an opt tech full time any summer break you are available. first and foremost, join POPS. great way to find job openings as many local doctors go there first for employment opportunities.
quote]

WHat is POPS?

POPS = Pre-Optometry Professional Society... my college did not have POPS but we had Pre-Professional Health Society which is for a Pre-Pro Majors and Dr. Boykins from UHCO even came down to talk to us