Pre-PA here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take organic or biochem?

Also, I am only a sophomore, but how competitive is my current 3.4 if I keep the average up or improve?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I take organic or biochem?

Also, I am only a sophomore, but how competitive is my current 3.4 if I keep the average up or improve?

Unlike medical school, each PA school has different prerequisites. I have seen organic chemistry much more commonly than biochemistry though. You should check out the websites for the programs you are interested in.

Your GPA should be fine if you keep it up. Your application will be greatly improved by medical experience and shadowing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs require o-chem WITH LAB, so take that first.
Then if you still have the chance to do so, I highly recommend biochem. Does not have to be with lab (my school didn't have a biochem lab). Very very helpful when it comes to learning medicine and pharmacology especially.
Do whatever you can to maintain your GPA above 3.4 (well, do NOT cheat). GPA is only part of the equation of course but since you're young and I presume have very limited healthcare experience you need as many positives on your application as you can get. Remember you'll be competing with lots of other pre-PAs who have everything you have and then some.
Good luck
Lisa PA-C

I am currently a Bio major going into my third year and i plan on changing my major to spanish once im done with my science pre reqs for PA school. I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether you think my change in major will be a good thing. I was thinking it would make me stand out instead of being compared to the gazillion other bio majors. Also is it even rational for me to hope or think ill get into pa school right after my undergrad? I have been shadowing PAs and i am hoping to become certified as CNA soon . my current GPA is a 3.5.

I am taking OCHEM right now and Emory does not require the lab. I am gonna try to take the microbiology with lab. i have spoke with a few students who are in pa school at emory and surprisingly they were not science majors. \

Oh one thing i wanted to also ask is do you think being the founder or president of teh first PA club at a university would outweigh direct patient care experience and possibly teh fact that my GPA is just a 3.5?

Oh one thing i wanted to also ask is do you think being the founder or president of teh first PA club at a university would outweigh direct patient care experience and possibly teh fact that my GPA is just a 3.5?

the gpa is not an issue. 3.5 is fine.
no experience is a big red flag. no amt of extracurriculars can make up for that glaring omission. remember prior experience is the foundation of the pa concept.....
get your cna or emt and work for a yr then you will be eligible for most programs.
no experience makes you eligible for a handful of lower tier programs only.

I have a 3.05 CGPA and a 3.20 SGPA. I will be graduating with a degree as a Biology major and a chemistry minor.
I scored a 31 on my MCAT.

I come from a very small rural town and went to a state college in NY.
I have had to work throughout college to pay for my educations on my own.
I have worked in a hospital for 2 1/2 years as a Telemetry Technician and Nurses Aide (well over 4,000 clinical hours).
I have shadowed an Pulmonologist for approx. 50 hours.
I have observed in the OR during ortho, pulmo, plastics, cardiac, ENT, and neuro surgeries approx. 50 hours.
I am in a national Community service fraternity and a national Biology Fraternity.
I am a part of French club, biology club, and have current EMT and BLS/ACLS certifications.
I have 4 strong letters of recommendation 2 of which are extremely strong (1 from an MD and the other the Director of critical care at the hospital i work at.)

I did poorly myfirst 3 semesters in college due to family issues and medical issues of my own. My previous 60 credit hours I have a GPA of ~3.56 and an upward trend over my entire college career.

any chances I get? :cool:

MCAT really has no effect on PA school admission. Maybe one or two schools accepts it, but it's also going to be a big red flag that you're interested in being a doctor, and that perhaps you are applying to PA school as a backup. I don't know what your GPA stuff means, but usually 3.0 is a cutoff. You won't be that competitive in the GPA sense but your clinical experience is great. You should figure out whether you want to be a doctor or a physician assistant before you go forward.

Do well on the GRE and make sure you can explain why you want to be a PA.

Yea, I forgot to change the MCAT for the GRE. I have taken both. I scored above the 60th %tile for each section. I don't recall what my total score was.

I believe it was a 520-V and a 600-Q with a 5 on the writing.

Last edited: