pre-PA student....please help. need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted972799

TLDR: I am a wack student and i am wondering if it would hurt my app to take my last pre-req course after completing my bachelor's.

Hello and welcome to my quarter-life crisis. I was previously a pre-med student. 4.0 gpa. very competitive research experience (ivy league), and volunteer experience. In the past year, I was completely burnt out...after my last research experience at a top ivy school over the summer, I crash-landed into the semester feeling like ****. I worked over 50 hours a week, I would be in my lab at 2 in the morning, and my PI was a total hard-ass. I transferred from community college to uni, and enrolled in a gen chem class which whooped my ass.
I decided that I did not want my future to be like that and I became very depressed about not knowing if I still wanted to get my MD. The majority of my friends are pre-med, and ALL of my competitive experiences have been leading up/in preparation for med school. I cannot explain to you how defeated I felt.

I decided I still wanted to go into healthcare, but not as a physician. It took me a long time to embrace the unknown. I ultimately decided that most of my experiences are also applicable to PA school, and after further investigation, I decided that everything I romanticized about getting and MD was actually true for PAs. I think, like most pre-meds, i got caught up in the "Dr." title, but now i could care less and I just want to happy and do a job I love.

Right now, I changed my major from bio to communication disorder science (also called hearing and speech sciences). I am taking some throw-away classes to recover my gpa from last semester.

I have about 2 more prereqs for PA school, but I am wondering if I should take them in Uni and risk compromising my uni gpa again, or if i should graduate with a high gpa, and take them at community college AFTER i get my bachelors. I can also do these classes while I am finishing my patient care hours.

Sorry that this post is so long, I just feel like I did school all wrong and wished I had known about PA school a long time ago...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
You shouldn't give up that easily. Med school is going to be much harder than your typical University courses, and it's going to require a lot of concentration and hard work. You shouldn't give up your dreams of becoming a physician just because you failed your chemistry course. My organic chemistry professor used to tell us "If you can't handle Organic Chemistry as a pre-med, you better have a plan B!". With that being said, your GPA and research experience will help you a lot. PA school in California requires their applicants to take the GRE. I hope this makes sense or helped xD (If there's any grammar errors "I'm sorry", black coffee kicking in hard)...
TLDR: I am a wack student and i am wondering if it would hurt my app to take my last pre-req course after completing my bachelor's.

Hello and welcome to my quarter-life crisis. I was previously a pre-med student. 4.0 gpa. very competitive research experience (ivy league), and volunteer experience. In the past year, I was completely burnt out...after my last research experience at a top ivy school over the summer, I crash-landed into the semester feeling like ****. I worked over 50 hours a week, I would be in my lab at 2 in the morning, and my PI was a total hard-ass. I transferred from community college to uni, and enrolled in a gen chem class which whooped my ass.
I decided that I did not want my future to be like that and I became very depressed about not knowing if I still wanted to get my MD. The majority of my friends are pre-med, and ALL of my competitive experiences have been leading up/in preparation for med school. I cannot explain to you how defeated I felt.

I decided I still wanted to go into healthcare, but not as a physician. It took me a long time to embrace the unknown. I ultimately decided that most of my experiences are also applicable to PA school, and after further investigation, I decided that everything I romanticized about getting and MD was actually true for PAs. I think, like most pre-meds, i got caught up in the "Dr." title, but now i could care less and I just want to happy and do a job I love.

Right now, I changed my major from bio to communication disorder science (also called hearing and speech sciences). I am taking some throw-away classes to recover my gpa from last semester.

I have about 2 more prereqs for PA school, but I am wondering if I should take them in Uni and risk compromising my uni gpa again, or if i should graduate with a high gpa, and take them at community college AFTER i get my bachelors. I can also do these classes while I am finishing my patient care hours.

Sorry that this post is so long, I just feel like I did school all wrong and wished I had known about PA school a long time ago...