Pre-Pharm classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is your pre-pharm GPA your GPA for all your science classes or just your pre-q to pharmacy school classes?
If it's your pre-q to pharmacy school classes then how does pharmacs calculate this b/c EVERY pharmacy school has something different..like for example public speaking isn't required for UNC, but its require for UCSF so will public speaking be part of your pre pharm gpa???

Members don't see this ad.

PharmCAS calculates a cumulative GPA, and also calculates a science GPA, math, humanites, and possibly some other things. How they do it and what classes they consider are on their website. So there's not a specific pre-pharm or pre-req GPA on PharmCAS. Now some schools might calculate a different GPA on their own that has some different criteria of what classes they include.

I have completed both my Organic I and Organic II.
However, Organic I has no lab course but is worth 4 credit hours. Organic
II on the other hand was 3 credit hours lecture and 1 credit hour lab.
I have had a problem with a school about not having a a whole credit hour based on lab for Organic I, while others
have not said anything. I have sent out emails but it takes them awhile to respond if at all. Has anyone had experience with this? Advice Please.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have completed both my Organic I and Organic II.
However, Organic I has no lab course but is worth 4 credit hours. Organic
II on the other hand was 3 credit hours lecture and 1 credit hour lab.
I have had a problem with a school about not having a a whole credit hour based on lab for Organic I, while others
have not said anything. I have sent out emails but it takes them awhile to respond if at all. Has anyone had experience with this? Advice Please.

I think you might continue to have problems. Every school I have seen requires that the Orgo lecture be accompanied by a lab component. Who knows though, maybe you will get lucky and slip by without anybody else noticing. However, if you listed on PharmCas that the course had no lab component, I foresee issues. Strange your school even offered a labless Orgo I.

UNC and Wingate both require microbiology lab...however I didn't take that either..I am HOPEING they will look pass that since I have already taken microbiology and have a million different bio lab credits.

UNC and Wingate both require microbiology lab...however I didn't take that either..I am HOPEING they will look pass that since I have already taken microbiology and have a million different bio lab credits.

I doubt they will let this slide. With so many applicants you've just made yourself all that much more likely to be weeded out. Then again you can always take it before you matriculate.

I doubt they will let this slide. With so many applicants you've just made yourself all that much more likely to be weeded out. Then again you can always take it before you matriculate.

I already graduated with a chem degree. However, I am going back to college for statistics and public speaking....which I am going to take either during the summer or Fall 2009. Microbio Lab is only offered in the spring at my undergrad college...so I have to wait till Spring 2010 to take it!! Thats the annoying part. :rolleyes:
I am taking the PCAT in Jan for the FIRST time...do you think I should apply to pharmacy school for Fall 2009? I have pretty much decided to apply to pharmacy school for Fall 2010, but a part of me is still wanting to apply NOW! What should I do?

Do you have any pharmacy experience, are you sure you want to be a pharmacist? If yes, then go ahead and apply.

I already graduated with a chem degree. However, I am going back to college for statistics and public speaking....which I am going to take either during the summer or Fall 2009. Microbio Lab is only offered in the spring at my undergrad college...so I have to wait till Spring 2010 to take it!! Thats the annoying part. :rolleyes:
I am taking the PCAT in Jan for the FIRST time...do you think I should apply to pharmacy school for Fall 2009? I have pretty much decided to apply to pharmacy school for Fall 2010, but a part of me is still wanting to apply NOW! What should I do?

If you're eligible, it wouldn't hurt to apply now.