Pre-pharm for 2 yrs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all,

Do you think it is possible for me to go to pharmacy college without a bachelor degree? Say, I just complete the requirements for pre-pharmacy (hopefully will be done in 2 years), then take PCAT test and apply for graduate professional school?

Right now I'm studying at Cal State San Bernardino and still studying inorganic chem. I am planning to appy directly to other school once I'm done with the pre-pharm coursework.
Any suggestion.

Thanx
:horns:

Members don't see this ad.

AS far as I know..Most pharm schools do not require a bachelors. HOwever, I have been told from alternates on ad coms, that a student with a bachelors degree are sometimes held in high regard. Anyways, depending on where you apply, you should be able to get away with just finishing the pre-regs for pharm school.

Also kknow that pre-reqs vary from school to school.

Check your school for details. Right now, most schools will accept apps from students who have completeld all pre-reqs (which can be done in 2 years). However, the U of MN is switching very soon to a BS prereq as well.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I feel that a lot of apps are from those with at least 3 years in. Having to retake a "C", having to finish off those last few prereqs, living the college experience, etc all contribute to this.

No harm in trying after 2 years. At the least, you'll get the experience of going through the app process, and make contacts in the colleges you wish to attend. At the best, you'll get in, and have one less year of college on your tab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its worth giving it a shot after 2 years, but just be prepared to apply again if you dont get in. I have heard from some people that schools like reapplicants if they have improved themselves over the year.. maybe it makes you look dedicated to their school?

UT Memphis is now requiring more prereqs that will most likely take everybody an additional year... So, 3 years of prepharmacy for applicants starting this year.

I'm doing the 2 years plan right now. It's my 2nd of the 4 semesters. It's really hectic, so I plan to go to summer school this summer to lighten up the course load.

I know the UC schools pretty much require it, and state that if you do plan to apply you must have exemplary grades and activities.

But I don't know about USC or U of P...i think most schools will go in that direction, and I honestly think it is the best for the profession.

good luck!

I agree w/ Oneday 9. Would you rather have a student who took two years of prepharm or a student who had a B.S.? Besides, you haven't really proven anything with two years of school (sorry if I offended anyone).

UC & USC REQUIRES a bachelor?s degree and UOP PREFERS a bachelor?s degree even though this year they only accepted students with bachelor?s degree. Loma Linda also PREFERS applicants with bachelor?s degrees. At Western and Nevada they dont' require a bachelor's degree for admission.

well said...Michelle!..

Having a bachelor's degree also qualifies you for additional federal loans if you need it.