angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
WPB, FL
Status (Visible)
Hello y'all,

Do you think it is possible for me to go to pharmacy college without a bachelor degree? Say, I just complete the requirements for pre-pharmacy (hopefully will be done in 2 years), then take PCAT test and apply for graduate professional school?

Right now I'm studying at Cal State San Bernardino and still studying inorganic chem. I am planning to appy directly to other school once I'm done with the pre-pharm coursework.
Any suggestion.

Thanx
:horns:

ApothRM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
AS far as I know..Most pharm schools do not require a bachelors. HOwever, I have been told from alternates on ad coms, that a student with a bachelors degree are sometimes held in high regard. Anyways, depending on where you apply, you should be able to get away with just finishing the pre-regs for pharm school.

Also kknow that pre-reqs vary from school to school.

MNnaloxone

DY-NO-MITE!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Check your school for details. Right now, most schools will accept apps from students who have completeld all pre-reqs (which can be done in 2 years). However, the U of MN is switching very soon to a BS prereq as well.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I feel that a lot of apps are from those with at least 3 years in. Having to retake a "C", having to finish off those last few prereqs, living the college experience, etc all contribute to this.

No harm in trying after 2 years. At the least, you'll get the experience of going through the app process, and make contacts in the colleges you wish to attend. At the best, you'll get in, and have one less year of college on your tab.

About the Ads
K

kim.

Its worth giving it a shot after 2 years, but just be prepared to apply again if you dont get in. I have heard from some people that schools like reapplicants if they have improved themselves over the year.. maybe it makes you look dedicated to their school?

UT Memphis is now requiring more prereqs that will most likely take everybody an additional year... So, 3 years of prepharmacy for applicants starting this year.

goheel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Status (Visible)
I'm doing the 2 years plan right now. It's my 2nd of the 4 semesters. It's really hectic, so I plan to go to summer school this summer to lighten up the course load.

Oneday_9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
I know the UC schools pretty much require it, and state that if you do plan to apply you must have exemplary grades and activities.

But I don't know about USC or U of P...i think most schools will go in that direction, and I honestly think it is the best for the profession.

good luck!

cosmo kramer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
RENO
Status (Visible)
I agree w/ Oneday 9. Would you rather have a student who took two years of prepharm or a student who had a B.S.? Besides, you haven't really proven anything with two years of school (sorry if I offended anyone).

michelleca4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
UC & USC REQUIRES a bachelor?s degree and UOP PREFERS a bachelor?s degree even though this year they only accepted students with bachelor?s degree. Loma Linda also PREFERS applicants with bachelor?s degrees. At Western and Nevada they dont' require a bachelor's degree for admission.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.