Pre-Pharmacy club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smithek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting a pre-pharmacy club here at my school and was wondering if any of you had good ideas for me in terms of what we could do as an organization. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm starting a pre-pharmacy club here at my school and was wondering if any of you had good ideas for me in terms of what we could do as an organization. Any help would be appreciated.

Wow! That's awesome. I didn't join my pre-pharm club at my undergrad but I know that they always had speakers come from different pharmacy schools to talk about their institution and how to apply, etc. Good luck to you!

I'd establish a shadowing program at the very minimum, and work with local pharmacies to get a program with volunteering at businesses. Also, a lecture circuit would be a great idea. Pharmacists, and if you have access to them, pharmacy students, could come from around the community and deliver lectures on current topics in pharmacy, from MTM to home infusion, to *REAL* job prospect analysis from the community.

The possibilities are only really limited by your commitment to the project and how willing the surrounding professionals / students are to contribute their expertise. In assisting the leadership of a local university personally, I have found that pharmacy leaders are almost unilaterally willing to step up and help the younger generation.

You've got a unique opportunity here... make sure you execute it. Get people involved. Make it salient, palpable. My dream for a pre-pharmacy club would be a "be a pharmacy student for a day" program where a select individual from the club, or more than one, would be allowed to attend one or two classes at a local pharmacy school to get a small taste of what it's like. Sadly, I never got that dream realized for the pre-pharm. club I was helping. But... maybe you can?

Hope I could help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
^

Pretty much a summary of the pre-pharm society I'm in now. Instead of the shadowing program our president works closely with the interim dean of the pharmacy school here and sets up shadowing opportunities that way. If there is a pharmacy school close to your college then you should try working closely with them because they have tons information and resources you can use.

I'd establish a shadowing program at the very minimum, and work with local pharmacies to get a program with volunteering at businesses. Also, a lecture circuit would be a great idea. Pharmacists, and if you have access to them, pharmacy students, could come from around the community and deliver lectures on current topics in pharmacy, from MTM to home infusion, to *REAL* job prospect analysis from the community.

The possibilities are only really limited by your commitment to the project and how willing the surrounding professionals / students are to contribute their expertise. In assisting the leadership of a local university personally, I have found that pharmacy leaders are almost unilaterally willing to step up and help the younger generation.

You've got a unique opportunity here... make sure you execute it. Get people involved. Make it salient, palpable. My dream for a pre-pharmacy club would be a "be a pharmacy student for a day" program where a select individual from the club, or more than one, would be allowed to attend one or two classes at a local pharmacy school to get a small taste of what it's like. Sadly, I never got that dream realized for the pre-pharm. club I was helping. But... maybe you can?

Hope I could help :)

Thanks! That does help! This semester is mostly going to be about laying the groundwork, getting our bylaws written, getting people excited about it and seeing what if any funding we can get, and what funds we can raise on our own. I also envisioned it as a support network (like a real life version of this site) for the pre-pharmacy kids on campus. There is not a huge group of pre-pharmacy students (I go to a liberal arts college of about 3500 people) but I think we can make it work. I do hope to bring in speakers and pharmacists from the community as well as help people set up shadowing and internship opportunities. I thought maybe even a journal club thing might be cool. I'm kind of stuck on what we'd do in terms of fundraising...but I hope to figure it out

U of MN would be our pharmacy school contact-- It would be nice to get in good with them!

Thanks! That does help! This semester is mostly going to be about laying the groundwork, getting our bylaws written, getting people excited about it and seeing what if any funding we can get, and what funds we can raise on our own. I also envisioned it as a support network (like a real life version of this site) for the pre-pharmacy kids on campus. There is not a huge group of pre-pharmacy students (I go to a liberal arts college of about 3500 people) but I think we can make it work. I do hope to bring in speakers and pharmacists from the community as well as help people set up shadowing and internship opportunities. I thought maybe even a journal club thing might be cool. I'm kind of stuck on what we'd do in terms of fundraising...but I hope to figure it out

We sold high quality UVEX goggles... The campus bookstore only had crappy ass goggles that fogged up and gave nasty raccoon eyes after a few minutes. It was, let's just say, a smashing success - Look into it.

UMN will be awesome, they have an amazing pharmacy school. You seem dedicated. Make sure you get a good corps of officers that are like-minded.

Our Pre-Pharmacy club here at Purdue has guest speakers from multiple Universities. In fact, a recruiter from Chicago State University is coming to give a presentation March 24.

They also have discussions/meetings about the application process and such.

I have missed the last few meetings, only because I am in Biology club and Chemistry and Physics club, but I'm going to the presentation involving the recruiter from CSU.

Goodluck, I wish I could have created the club here or become president, I still need some type of "leadership" experience...

One thing I wanted to set up, but never did, was a Mock Interview event. Many of us came here to prepare for the interview, but having faculty come down to do quick 10 minute sessions with members of your club would be pretty useful.

That's a really good idea! :thumbup:

We had free pizza every meeting! NOM NOM

I was thinking about trying to do the exact same thing!! I go to a community college and im about 2.5 hrs away from our pharmacy school in New Mexico..when i heard that UNM had a pharmacy club i thought it would be so great if we had a club here at our community college! I have 2 girls, go to school full time and work during the weekend so its hard for me to get involved with the one at UNM. I m hoping i can come up w some ideas on how to start one. Im wanting to get a club together so people like me who are intrested in pharmacy can get involved in our community, learn about pharmacy and reach out to our community and do community service projects. Just dont really know where to start? Talk to an advisor? or the dean? then maybe get some pamphlets out about starting a club and having a meeting??:confused:

We had free pizza every meeting! NOM NOM

Yeah... if you want people to show up you're gonna have to have free food of some sort. My old pre-pharm club covered the cost in the annual dues.

Also, the volunteering doesn't have to be limited to pharmacy-related activities. I've done things as random as plant trees in a local park thru my school's pre-pharmacy program.

I think the "be a pharmacy student for a day" is a great idea. We had something similar at UT where I had the opportunity to shadow a pharmacy student for a day. I got to sit through lectures and one of his labs and ask some of those questions that I couldn't ask the admissions representative. He told me about an exam he had one time that was 100 T/F questions and all of them were false. :eek: