Pre pharmacy requirements are weird!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vasoolraja

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a Master's and a Bachelor's degree from India. The pharmacy school I am intending to apply told me that they can't accept courses that were taken ten years ago. My Bachelor's and Master's degrees are nearly ten years old. I had taken several courses in biochemistry, microbiology, economics, etc, but none of these courses will be accepted. I will have to start from scratch. Thank God they did not tell me that I have to start from Kindergarden!!! A for apple, B for Ball......!!!
 
I have a Master's and a Bachelor's degree from India. The pharmacy school I am intending to apply told me that they can't accept courses that were taken ten years ago. My Bachelor's and Master's degrees are nearly ten years old. I had taken several courses in biochemistry, microbiology, economics, etc, but none of these courses will be accepted. I will have to start from scratch. Thank God they did not tell me that I have to start from Kindergarden!!! A for apple, B for Ball......!!!

They do that because science moves rapidly, and something you learned 10 years ago probably isn't true today.
 
I have a Master's and a Bachelor's degree from India. ...I had taken several courses in biochemistry, microbiology, economics, etc,

then the pre-reqs you have to take will be easy for you. i expect you to get straight A's and get into your #1 choice. if this is too much of a hassle, you can surely apply to pharmacy school in your native country
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And that you're a risk if you haven't studied science in 10 years...

I wouldn't call the pre-requisites "weird", either. Pretty par for the course, except for a couple of schools that do need extra stuff.

After I completed my Master of science in India, I did another Master of science from US in 2006 and since then I have been working as a research associate conducting research. Anyway, I have already started taking pre-requisite courses!!!
 
I thought some schools had exemptions or special rules regarding students with bachelors+ degrees. Have you called and spoken to anyone about your situation?


Many schools also will waive the time frame limitation on pre reqs if you took a course since then that requires that particular class as a pre req. For example if you took gen chem 15 years ago but took (and passed)
ochem last year they don't care that your gen chem was so long ago
 
Many schools also will waive the time frame limitation on pre reqs if you took a course since then that requires that particular class as a pre req. For example if you took gen chem 15 years ago but took (and passed)
ochem last year they don't care that your gen chem was so long ago

Definitely not UoP.

bastards are picky.
 
I thought some schools had exemptions or special rules regarding students with bachelors+ degrees. Have you called and spoken to anyone about your situation?

They do when the degrees we awarded in this country. I know a lot of schools have problems when the degrees come outside of the country because there's no way to verify the standard of material learned since it is outside their scope.
 
They do when the degrees we awarded in this country. I know a lot of schools have problems when the degrees come outside of the country because there's no way to verify the standard of material learned since it is outside their scope.
This👍.
 
They do when the degrees we awarded in this country. I know a lot of schools have problems when the degrees come outside of the country because there's no way to verify the standard of material learned since it is outside their scope.

I got my foreign transcripts evaluated by world education services. It provides U.S equivalency. My undergrad GPA is 3.2, Master's degree GPA 3.9. In addition, I have received a Master of science degree in the U.S with a 3.9 GPA. It would be great if the adcom waives some prerequisites in my case!
 
Have you asked anyone at the school(s)?

Yes, I checked with UAMS and they told me that they can't accept courses that were completed 10 years ago. However, they said they can accept statistics and research writing (for English communication requirement) - a total of 6 credits from the M.S degree in U.S. Other than that I will have to take all pre-requisite courses. I am planning to check with other schools as well.