Pre-pod classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by theavrock, Apr 12, 2007.

1. theavrock

5+ Year Member

Hey guys, I am trying to get my schedule for the last few semesters of undergrad set up here and I am curious what you guys think helpful classes for both the MCAT and Pod school would be? I know what the pre-reqs are but I am sure there are classes that would be advantageous to take. So what would you guys suggest both for pod school and MCAT prep? These are some of the classes I am thinking about taking: A&P (both semesters?), Microbiology, Genetics, Biochem. Thanks guys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

A&P, micro, and biochem are killer first year classes so get as much as you can before.

4. funfeet

funfeet Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I'm just a pre-pod, but took courses to prepare for next year. Anatomy, physiology, micro, biochem (which were all mentioned). I also took an immunology course. Look at what school you want to go to and see what courses you take your 1st (maybe 2nd) years. I've basically taken all my first year courses so at least i'll have a basic understanding for next year.

5. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I totally agree.

Micro and bioch aren't "required" for taking the MCAT, but they sneak a ton onto it - both in passages and questions.

Physio is also very tough. I took Systems Phisiology I & II at my undergrad (with MD school professors), and I got a "B-" and a "C." In the end, it was great, though. I feel like I have great knowledge of physio (and its pharm correlations); my performance at the graduate level probably wouldn't have been nearly as good without struggling through it in undergrad.

I don't really know if anat is one I'd say is as essential during undergrad, though. It's a subject that is more of just pure memorization, and undergrad courses usually include little or no cadaver lab (where most of the real learning takes place IMO). The undergrad Bio department anatomy offerings are typically based more on animal anat. If you can afford it, I'd say to take a ExSci type of anat class. That might not even count for your major, but it should be an easy "A" and you get familiar with the terminology and some basic principles.

6. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    For the MCAT, you had better know you physics. Not as important in school.

I also took histology, genetics, immunology, and exercise science (kinesiology). I felt that they all helped in school

7. theavrock

5+ Year Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am planning on taking Biochem and Microbiology before pod school. What about cell bio? Do you guys think that would help for the MCAT or pod school? I have an open slot and I want to take something relevant. I have all my chem, physics and gen bio done and I will be starting Organic next semester. Thanks again.

8. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Cell bio was the biggest waste of a class I ever took. It definitely didn't help for the MCAT when I took it and I doubt it would help in pod school. I think taking anatomy would be much more worth your time.

9. narkotiks

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student

take biochem and maybe micro. a few of my friends in md programs agree with me that biochem is a very challenging course for first years. id take it to at least become familiar with it.