Pre-Pod needing an advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's pretty cool.

When you choose to do surgery at a center or hospital, are you directly employed under that facility? Or does it work a different way?
Nope, I'm not employed by the facility. The way it works is that when I do a surgery at the hospital or surgery center, I bill my physicians fee for the surgery. The hospital or surgery center will also bill for a facility fee, and the anesthesiologist may bill for their fee. The surgeons fee is usually a small part of the overall bill

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, I'm not employed by the facility. The way it works is that when I do a surgery at the hospital or surgery center, I bill my physicians fee for the surgery. The hospital or surgery center will also bill for a facility fee, and the anesthesiologist may bill for their fee. The surgeons fee is usually a small part of the overall bill
So you need privileges at that hospital though? How would privileges work for like a private surgical center?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Learning so much right now D:

Thanks for answering ldsr. Usually I'm pretty hesitant about asking pods this when I'm shadowing or something. Just out of etiquette usually don't bring up money.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you need privileges at that hospital though? How would privileges work for like a private surgical center?

Correct, there is a process a doctor has to go through in order to be able to see patients either medically or surgically at a hospital or surgery center. The process is similar at both, but at the surgery center I only needed to ask for surgical privileges and at the hospital I asked for consultation privileges as well. Essentially the privileging process amounts to me proving I am a safe surgeon and can do the procedures I ask for privileges for. For me, a lot of that came from my residency logs, although I did have to have another surgeon scrub some cases with me. The surgery center I work at is partially owned by one of the hospital groups, so the fact I had privileges at the hospital streamlined the privileging at the surgery center I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Learning so much right now D:

Thanks for answering ldsr. Usually I'm pretty hesitant about asking pods this when I'm shadowing or something. Just out of etiquette usually don't bring up money.
No worries, SDN is a good place to get some info, just remember to take everything with a grain of salt. If you, or anyone else for that matter, has questions they would rather not ask on the open forum, feel free to PM me. Several of the other pods on the forum are good about answering PMs as well

Reactions: 1 users
Correct, there is a process a doctor has to go through in order to be able to see patients either medically or surgically at a hospital or surgery center. The process is similar at both, but at the surgery center I only needed to ask for surgical privileges and at the hospital I asked for consultation privileges as well. Essentially the privileging process amounts to me proving I am a safe surgeon and can do the procedures I ask for privileges for. For me, a lot of that came from my residency logs, although I did have to have another surgeon scrub some cases with me. The surgery center I work at is partially owned by one of the hospital groups, so the fact I had privileges at the hospital streamlined the privileging at the surgery center I think.
You da man!

when is too late to apply for podiatry school? our of random...

when is too late to apply for podiatry school? our of random...

Rolling admissions so they will still take students as the cycle nears the end (aacpmas opens first Wed of August and deadline is June 30th of that year).

If you apply late with high stats, admission will mostly depend on how many seats are left over in the bigger classes.

Rolling admissions so they will still take students as the cycle nears the end (aacpmas opens first Wed of August and deadline is June 30th of that year).

If you apply late with high stats, admission will mostly depend on how many seats are left over in the bigger classes.
thank you. so once you apply, how long does it take them to contact you? i heard they contact you even you were not offer invite for interview. also i heard after interview, they contact you after two weeks for acceptance or rejection?

thank you. so once you apply, how long does it take them to contact you? i heard they contact you even you were not offer invite for interview. also i heard after interview, they contact you after two weeks for acceptance or rejection?
I got an interview invite the same day I applied. It really just depends on when admissions looks at your application but it usually isn't more than a month.

would it be possible to get LOR from graduate school? or from summer course? I have been out of school for sometime and I don't want to use undergrad letter. Concern is because professors don't really know me. Thats why I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get LOR from summer course that i didn't do well in undergrad.

would it be possible to get LOR from graduate school? or from summer course? I have been out of school for sometime and I don't want to use undergrad letter. Concern is because professors don't really know me. Thats why I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get LOR from summer course that i didn't do well in undergrad.
I don't see why not, the most recent up to date info about you is what I believe they want to see. While applying all of my letters were older, so I asked my graduate program to put together a committee letter and had no problems while applying.

I don't see why not, the most recent up to date info about you is what I believe they want to see. While applying all of my letters were older, so I asked my graduate program to put together a committee letter and had no problems while applying.

Do you think a comittee letter carries more weight than individual professors?

Reason for asking - I know at least 2 professors at my current grad school that would write me a rec letter. One is from class and one heads the lab I work in. That being said I don't really know the one in the class that well (even though did really good in it).

I can probably cold-approach my department and ask them info about a committee letter too.

In your opinion, which route is better? Should I just look into both and ask a professor about it?

Do you think a comittee letter carries more weight than individual professors?

Reason for asking - I know at least 2 professors at my current grad school that would write me a rec letter. One is from class and one heads the lab I work in. That being said I don't really know the one in the class that well (even though did really good in it).

I can probably cold-approach my department and ask them info about a committee letter too.

In your opinion, which route is better? Should I just look into both and ask a professor about it?

Do I think hold different weight? No not really I'd say maybe the science professors would as they've been the standard LOR requirement for a while now while the committee letter is still relatively new as a replacement for them. As far as I know schools do like them however. If you have the ability to get two letters then I'd say go for it, or maybe work with someone in the department about getting a committee letter on top of it. It was easier for me to get the committee letter with the great support at my school and I believe the letter allows schools to see the student more than just an A in a class (unless the professor knows you well of course). The committee letters should technically tell more about you, how successful you are as a student as a whole, and why that school should accept you. The writers on my committee letter were one of my professors, the dean, and assistant dean of the department. Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions let me know or PM me.

Do I think hold different weight? No not really I'd say maybe the science professors would as they've been the standard LOR requirement for a while now while the committee letter is still relatively new as a replacement for them. As far as I know schools do like them however. If you have the ability to get two letters then I'd say go for it, or maybe work with someone in the department about getting a committee letter on top of it. It was easier for me to get the committee letter with the great support at my school and I believe the letter allows schools to see the student more than just an A in a class (unless the professor knows you well of course). The committee letters should technically tell more about you, how successful you are as a student as a whole, and why that school should accept you. The writers on my committee letter were one of my professors, the dean, and assistant dean of the department. Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions let me know or PM me.

Perfect.

Gonna look into the committee stuff.

If I have questions, will definitely PM you.

Do you think a comittee letter carries more weight than individual professors? […]
Committee packets are a bit more en vogue for allopaths and osteopaths, but frankly I think podiatric medical schools could care less whether you submit traditional letters or a pre-health committee packet. If you have a marginal application, maybe it's worth pursuing to put you in the best light possible. There are only a few advantages to having a committee packet from your school, one of which @ArchiePod touched upon with the fact that it's a more formal evaluation and recommendation of you that takes into account your academic performance, your extracurricular activities, and your goals/aspirations. Typically you interview to discuss these topics with one or more faculty at your institution, and then they author your letter. The other advantages are its essence of a university endorsement deeming you academically fit for medicine (or dentistry) and the fact that the committee letter is really the only letter of evaluation that is guaranteed to be blinded from your perusal prior to disclosure.