Pre-PT student curious on PT school acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSUViking21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up guys, I am a Junior at the undergraduate level with plans to go into Physical Therapy. Since my undergrad days are quickly coming to an end, I am wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimation on my chances of getting into a PT program. I have taken majority of the prerequisites but still have a few to complete. Also, I will be taking the GRE for the first time in December of 2019. To enhance my chances on being accepted into a PT program, I am open for suggestions, advice, and any recommendations that anyone my have.

GPA: 3.851
A&P 1: B
A&P 2: B
General Psychology: A-
Statistics: B
Bio 1: A
Bio 2: A
Chem 1: A
Chem 2: A
Physics: Taking this sequence during my senior year
GRE: Not taken
Observational Hours: 60-70 with plans to reach 125-150 before applying

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's up guys, I am a Junior at the undergraduate level with plans to go into Physical Therapy. Since my undergrad days are quickly coming to an end, I am wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimation on my chances of getting into a PT program. I have taken majority of the prerequisites but still have a few to complete. Also, I will be taking the GRE for the first time in December of 2019. To enhance my chances on being accepted into a PT program, I am open for suggestions, advice, and any recommendations that anyone my have.

GPA: 3.851
A&P 1: B
A&P 2: B
General Psychology: A-
Statistics: B
Bio 1: A
Bio 2: A
Chem 1: A
Chem 2: A
Physics: Taking this sequence during my senior year
GRE: Not taken
Observational Hours: 60-70 with plans to reach 125-150 before applying
Grades are outstanding, have some variance in your hours, (in patient, out patient etc) and just do well on your GRE. I don't see you having any issue getting in. Also get good letters of recommendation those go a long way.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the post above.
Keep doing what you've been doing so far with your grades and you'll be fine.
DO STUDY for GRE not to waste money later to retake it. Public libraries have some older editions of GRE books which you can use , but get familiar with the current (a couple of years back should be fine) format of GRE as well. Free resources should be enough to prepare for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Also agree with both first replies!

You seem pretty smart/studious based on your grades, so you should be okay on the GRE. It's not terribly difficult, but make sure for the writing portion, you PRACTICE!! Look at examples you can find online as well. The way they format it is super weird, basically if you write it how they want it, you'll be okay. I know PT schools don't necessarily look at it with that much weight because it's writing, but it doesn't hurt to do well ya know? I used the ETS book and some other online practice resources.

Variety in settings is important because it teaches you things from all sides of PT AND you can meet more therapists and see their perspectives on PT. Make sure to be engaged and ask questions (when appropriate) so you can build relationships with them and eventually ask them for a letter down the road. If you haven't already made a connection with professors, most schools ask for some type of academic letter of rec, so if you can, use that last physics course to your advantage. You'll probably do well based on your other grades, but go to office hours and talk to your professor to show him/her how inclined you are to learn and all that educational stuff that they can put into a letter.

Speaking from experience, my grades were just above average, if not average. BUT I had a lot of hours in different settings, and I think the PTs and professor who wrote my letter helped me out a lot. (I was pretty damn proud of my PTCAS essay too, so when the time comes, get different opinions on it and have people proof read!!)

Good luck!!