Pre-PT Student needing to Interview Physical Therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T8024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Travis Ceccacci. I am a Pre-Physical Therapy student at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. I am writing an essay for my advanced writing class call "Know Your Discipline". I have to conduct three interviews with physical therapists. I've already interviewed one PT, and it was very rewarding. Every clinic I've called will not allow me to denied me the opportunity to volunteer and interview a PT. Please help me with this assignment by answering the questions below. This was supposed to be a personal interview. I realize this may be asking alot, but if you could provide your name, credentials, and email it would help me avoid a zero for this assignment. Please help this prospective physical therapist!! I have the utmost respect forthe field and all of those in it. Thank you so much!!!! It could also be a phone or skype interview. Please send me a personal message or skype me at trav2992. Thanks again.

1. Is the physical therapist with DPT degree benefiting the patient more than a physical therapist with Master’s degree?
2. Does it cost more to be treated by a physical therapist with a DPT?
3. Why do you feel there is such a push by the APTA for every physical therapist to be a Doctor of Physical Therapy?
4. With the demand for physical therapy increasing as the population ages, how do you feel the demand for physical therapy will be affected by PT’s being in school for a longer period?
5. Does a DPT degree make a physical therapist more qualified to treat a patient? Why or why not?
6. Some claim the DPT degree is an attempt to buy legitimacy and acceptance of others. What do you think about this claim?
The DPTdegree is becoming the entry-level requirement for a physical therapist to practice, how you feel it will physical therapist with Master’s or Baccalaureate degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Since this doesn't have to be an in-person interview, maybe you should try calling more places? When I was asking for informational interviews just to learn about the profession, I emailed around 20 PT's and half of them ended up responding. If your school has an alumni program, try finding PT's through that.

If I were you, I would try and find a PT clinic to volunteer, and while you are volunteering you should mention you have a few questions that you would like answered from a PT and ask them. It sounds to me like you waited until the last minute to do this and now you're desperate for answers. If you put your own answers for those questions I'm sure a lot of folks on here would love to comment and critique them but to just ask people to answer them just so you can avoid a zero is asking for a lot IMO. When you are asking to volunteer at the PT clinics you called, are you asking about a volunteer/shadowing for the experience or are you asking about volunteering for the sole fact that you have questions that you needed to be answered for a school assignment?