Pre-PTA as an Undergrad: What Should I Be Doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

archermitch

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone.

I'm currently Pre-PA and in order to acquire my 3 years of clinical experience for PA school I'm planning on becoming a Physical Therapist's Assistant. In terms of academics, I believe that I have all of the educational requirements for PTA programs covered (I was originally pre-med and the paths are pretty similar as an undergrad).

So my question is, what should I be doing as an undergrad? Should I be doing research? Getting clinical experience? I've been looking into the latter but it's difficult to get any hands-on patient care when I'm just an undergrad. What kind of clinical experience should I be looking into, if at all?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guy!
 
I don't know what PTA programs require, but for PT programs you need to get PT observation hours in a variety of settings (inpatient, outpatient, SNF, cardiac rehab, etc). Perhaps you could try that? Another option is to try getting a job as a rehab aide/PT tech, which usually counts as observation hours for PT programs. Your best bet would be to contact some PTA programs to see what they require. Good luck!