pre req before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motivated dent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you have to finish all prereqs before applying to dental school? or do you just have to complete them before you actually go?

Members don't see this ad.

No. You have to complete them before you matriculate (go). I'm already in and I'm taking physics right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that schools do like to see a lot of them completed (You only have 1 year after you apply, if you apply in summer, to take classes anyway). You would need to take 1 year bio, 1 year chem, & 1 year ochem for the DAT so those should be done. But upper div requirements like biochem can probably wait. Be careful of the deadlines for some of the schools, some don't let you take the pre reqs during summer school before you matriculate or you don't have time for summer school cause some d schools start in july. IMO physics is good to take the year you apply because it doesn't come out on the DAT and stuff.

My undergrad has a pre-health committee (as do most larger schools) and they require that all dschool requirements be finished by the time you apply for review at the end of your junior year.

^ plus many schools want to see upper level courses in your record.