Pre-req grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.ch

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just wanted to clarify something that is quite important for my application: I read somewhere that the grades for all pre-reqs have to be above a C. Mine are all pretty decent except for Gen Chem II, during which there were some mitigating circumstances which made it difficult to study at all so I received a C-. I have just obtained my bachelor's degree and will be applying next cycle in May 2024; my question is, will I have to re-do that Gen chem course to apply to US schools? Or is it dependent on the specific schools? I noticed that some schools do indicate a specific grade for the pre-reqs while others don't mention it. What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, dental schools require passing grades at C or above. While it may be satisfactory for your degree, C-minus grades are not considered passing (75% minimum is the standard here, not 70%).

Check the schools, but you likely need to retake and pass the course.

C- unfortunately is not a passing grade for applications. You will have to retake the course in order to apply. I’d also say most, if not all, schools will not be lenient on this requirement. It’s there for a reason

See if you could take it at a CC if you don’t want to redo it at your university. Schools should accept that retaken grade from a CC

Members don't see this ad :)
C- unfortunately is not a passing grade for applications. You will have to retake the course in order to apply. I’d also say most, if not all, schools will not be lenient on this requirement. It’s there for a reason

See if you could take it at a CC if you don’t want to redo it at your university. Schools should accept that retaken grade from a CC
I see, thanks for clarifying. There’s another thing though that I may need to take into consideration. See the university I got that C- from uses a 4.33 gpa scale, and it’s my understanding that USA schools use a 4.0 scale..? If that’s the case, then shouldn’t that C- minus get adjusted to a C or something by the 4.0 standard? Is there a way to check how that would convert after entering all the courses and their grades into the ADEA website? My situation is quite complicated and I want to consider all possibilities here before jumping to spend time and money.

I see, thanks for clarifying. There’s another thing though that I may need to take into consideration. See the university I got that C- from uses a 4.33 gpa scale, and it’s my understanding that USA schools use a 4.0 scale..? If that’s the case, then shouldn’t that C- minus get adjusted to a C or something by the 4.0 standard? Is there a way to check how that would convert after entering all the courses and their grades into the ADEA website? My situation is quite complicated and I want to consider all possibilities here before jumping to spend time and money.
I honestly have no clue. This might be something you should ask your prehealth student resource office to see how they'd handle it.

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding, 4.33 just means A+. AADSAS does not count A+ any higher than A and will not adjust the scale to match. Your C- will remain a C- and will need to be retaken if you want to apply to US dental schools.

Reactions: 2 users
From my understanding, 4.33 just means A+. AADSAS does not count A+ any higher than A and will not adjust the scale to match. Your C- will remain a C- and will need to be retaken if you want to apply to US dental schools.
Thank you for your help,I will definitely consider that.
On that note, I was wondering how AADSAS calculates the grades for each course? I have a class in which I received a C (for physics) but that was my third time taking it after failing twice, so how will the website determine what the final grade is? Is it going to avg the 3 letters grades or take the most recent C?
I guess what I’m wondering is, will the grade for physics show the 3 different grades or the most recent one? Or would they average out the grade for physics and display that?
Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help,I will definitely consider that.
On that note, I was wondering how AADSAS calculates the grades for each course? I have a class in which I received a C (for physics) but that was my third time taking it after failing twice, so how will the website determine what the final grade is? Is it going to avg the 3 letters grades or take the most recent C?
I guess what I’m wondering is, will the grade for physics show the 3 different grades or the most recent one? Or would they average out the grade for physics and display that?
Sorry for the confusion.
AADSAS (and all other application services) calculate your GPA's based on the submitted official transcripts you send them. Their GPA calculation rules will count every graded course taken, including repeated coursework. All grades are shown, and in their GPA calculations, all attempts are averaged (appropriate to course hour weight).

So for your example, the two F's and the C will be averaged in your GPA's for physics.

Individual schools will consider repeat coursework according to their own policies, so you need to find out which schools may place weight on your most recent grade when it comes to reviewing your application.

Reactions: 1 user
When you end up deciding to retake that course, make sure you know if your programs require prerequisite courses to be taken at a 4 year institution vs community college.