Pre-Req Class Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicholle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should you retake pre-req classes if you received C's in them? I received a C in Bio I, C-in Bio 2, C in gen chem I.

I have taken another chem class and I received an A in that. I received an A in pre-calc as well.

Overall, I really just want to know what the consequences of receiving these three C's will be. These are the only C's which I have received. My other grades have all been A's.

Also, do medical schools look at undergrad grades received at private universities on a different scale than grades received at state universities?

Members don't see this ad.

Should you retake pre-req classes if you received C's in them? I received a C in Bio I, C-in Bio 2, C in gen chem I.

I have taken another chem class and I received an A in that. I received an A in pre-calc as well.

Overall, I really just want to know what the consequences of receiving these three C's will be. These are the only C's which I have received. My other grades have all been A's.

Also, do medical schools look at undergrad grades received at private universities on a different scale than grades received at state universities?
Just take higher level bio classes, like Micro, genetics, or even A&P. I doubt one C in gen chem will matter, especially since you got an A the second semester!

Just take higher level bio classes, like Micro, genetics, or even A&P. I doubt one C in gen chem will matter, especially since you got an A the second semester!

As long as you do well in the remainder of your advanced bio classes and dont get any more Cs, I think you will be okay....

ochem will tell ya!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken the second semester of gen chem yet. The A that I received was in another lower level chemistry class offered at my university.

So your suggestion is not to retake them quite yet, but rather wait and see how the other chemistry and biology classes go and then decide?

It's much better to do get As in your remaining chemistry classes and As in higher level classes than in some Bio 101/102. Those classes tend to be filled with people from different majors who think BIo class is the worst thing in college. Like I said, go for Micro or something of that sort where people actually care and where an A will make that C in Intro Bio look too small to be relevant. ALso, take more than just Micro. Are you a bio major? If not take more than one higher level bio class anyway.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Actually, I'm a psychology major with minors in chemistry and biology. I plan on taking like five more classes from each though.

A reason why you'd NEED to retake Bio I & II or Chem I would be if you didn't master the material, which would make doing well on the MCAT more problematic. Otherwise, I'd agree that As in upper-level Bio coursework can also redeem the Cs. Or getting an A in the second course of a sequence. Another reason to retake would be if you decide to apply to DO med schools which only count the most recent grade received for a given course. This would help raise your GPA faster if it's getting too low to be competitive.

A reason why you'd NEED to retake Bio I & II or Chem I would be if you didn't master the material, which would make doing well on the MCAT more problematic. Otherwise, I'd agree that As in upper-level Bio coursework can also redeem the Cs. Or getting an A in the second course of a sequence. Another reason to retake would be if you decide to apply to DO med schools which only count the most recent grade received for a given course. This would help raise your GPA faster if it's getting too low to be competitive.

honestly i only see him needing to retake bio 2.. because c- doesnt cut it
med schools require a C or higher for a pre-requsite

and.. honestly bio 1 and 2 are all things one can learn from opening a review book.. no need to retake for that reason
however.. chem 1 being a C is a red flag because its a class that builds critical thinking.
so you'll need to spend some time working on that during your mcat review..