Pre Req help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eedoc24

Reaction score
Really struggling and need advice. My top choice med school has a pre-req of either organic chemistry 2 or biochemistry with lab. I took my biochemistry course in undergrad almost 7 years ago and could have SWORN that it had a lab, i even looked at my transcript and it was a 4 hour course so I figured i was set. I have been emailing with admissions and they are saying my biochem course does not satisfy the requirement. I am working on my application for the Fall 2023 cycle but now do not have all my pre-reqs satisfied. I work full time and cannot afford to take time off to take ochem 2 in person. Should i take it online somewhere? I have no idea what to do and could use some insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Really struggling and need advice. My top choice med school has a pre-req of either organic chemistry 2 or biochemistry with lab. I took my biochemistry course in undergrad almost 7 years ago and could have SWORN that it had a lab, i even looked at my transcript and it was a 4 hour course so I figured i was set. I have been emailing with admissions and they are saying my biochem course does not satisfy the requirement. I am working on my application for the Fall 2023 cycle but now do not have all my pre-reqs satisfied. I work full time and cannot afford to take time off to take ochem 2 in person. Should i take it online somewhere? I have no idea what to do and could use some insight!

The biochem labs are usually a wet lab that teaches techniques like western blot and pcr. I would recommend just trying to get into a biochem lab. My undergrad didn’t even call it Biochem lab, but it was its own standalone course called techniques in biochemistry or something. I think it would be much easier to just do a standalone biochem lab for 1 credit.

Reactions: 1 users
If you need a course with lab, it's unlikely you will be able to take it online: both organic lab and biochem lab are going to be in-person ventures.

That said, you have all of next year to take the pre-reqs: typically, you need them for matriculation, not application. I would suggest finding somewhere you can take either course in person sometime in the Fall or Spring. Many CCs offer both semesters of organic.