Pre-req Physics: Calculus vs. Non-Calculus Based

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been asked a truly stupid number of times before but despite my reading I'm still torn. I am currently enrolled in a calculus based physics class yet my school says it prefers I take the non-calc based. Does it actually matter/is this just a preference of this particular school or more widespread that I take non-calc/should I bother changing my schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!
I'm sure this has been asked a truly stupid number of times before but despite my reading I'm still torn. I am currently enrolled in a calculus based physics class yet my school says it prefers I take the non-calc based. Does it actually matter/is this just a preference of this particular school or more widespread that I take non-calc/should I bother changing my schedule?

as long as the pharmacy schools count it as a pre-req, you're fine. Does your school prefer it for biology majors by any chance (UC school?)? Usually they just recommend the non-calc based physics for bio students as that class was specifically made for biology students and not engineering/physics majors (at least at my univ.)

Hello all!

If your school prefers non-calc, I would do that. On the other hand, I took calc-based specifically because my calculus was eight years old. I wanted to show that I could still apply it. But I would stick to non-calc unless you are really mathematically inclined. It makes more sense than algebra-based because you learn the relationships between equations and such, but you don't need to know those for health professions, so...

I'm helpful.