Pre-req Physics: Calculus vs. Non-Calculus Based

Started by Mayking
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mayking

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been asked a truly stupid number of times before but despite my reading I'm still torn. I am currently enrolled in a calculus based physics class yet my school says it prefers I take the non-calc based. Does it actually matter/is this just a preference of this particular school or more widespread that I take non-calc/should I bother changing my schedule?
 
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been asked a truly stupid number of times before but despite my reading I'm still torn. I am currently enrolled in a calculus based physics class yet my school says it prefers I take the non-calc based. Does it actually matter/is this just a preference of this particular school or more widespread that I take non-calc/should I bother changing my schedule?

as long as the pharmacy schools count it as a pre-req, you're fine. Does your school prefer it for biology majors by any chance (UC school?)? Usually they just recommend the non-calc based physics for bio students as that class was specifically made for biology students and not engineering/physics majors (at least at my univ.)
 
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been asked a truly stupid number of times before but despite my reading I'm still torn. I am currently enrolled in a calculus based physics class yet my school says it prefers I take the non-calc based. Does it actually matter/is this just a preference of this particular school or more widespread that I take non-calc/should I bother changing my schedule?

If your school prefers non-calc, I would do that. On the other hand, I took calc-based specifically because my calculus was eight years old. I wanted to show that I could still apply it. But I would stick to non-calc unless you are really mathematically inclined. It makes more sense than algebra-based because you learn the relationships between equations and such, but you don't need to know those for health professions, so...

I'm helpful.