Pre-Req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FareedTareen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Crazy, I've never heard of something like that. Good call on waiting to take the sciences at a 4-year, I wouldn't worry one bit about the english courses. Be aware that a small number of schools don't accept CC credits for pre-reqs (I think Tufts is one, but I may be wrong), but the large majority do. Doc's got a thread on here somewhere about it. Don't forget to have some fun, too... you're still in high school!

I highly doubt they'd bat an eyelash at your English credits being taken at a CC.

If anything, just to quell any fears, take one more English class when you get to a 4-year college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently enrolled in a dual credit high school program (jr). I do my first two years of college and last two years of high school at the same time.

I know that pre-reqs should be avoided at the CC level, so i've been trying to stay clear from all Bio, Chem & Physics classes until I transfer to a 4 year university. However, I have to take English 1301 & English 1302 and remember that I saw english in the pre-reqs list for NYU's dental school.

Would that be against me when I apply for Dental school years down the line?

I worked my butt off in English 1302 and made a 100 (107 really) with extra credit and what not. I'm still in English 1302 until the end of this semester.

Thanks for the help!

We have a similar program here that I participated in. It's not an issue at all for English. As for the science, as long as you take upper-div sciences at your university, you'll be set. I think the whole CC credit issue is for people who take the pre-reqs at a CC as a continuing student and apply; e.g. they get an econ degree and decide to go dental, so they take 2 years of pre-reqs at the local CC. That could be frowned upon. Getting ahead as a HS/CC student is harder to construe as you 'taking an easy route' to completing pre-reqs. How else would transfer students ever get into dental/medical school?

We have a similar program here that I participated in. It's not an issue at all for English. As for the science, as long as you take upper-div sciences at your university, you'll be set. I think the whole CC credit issue is for people who take the pre-reqs at a CC as a continuing student and apply; e.g. they get an econ degree and decide to go dental, so they take 2 years of pre-reqs at the local CC. That could be frowned upon. Getting ahead as a HS/CC student is harder to construe as you 'taking an easy route' to completing pre-reqs. How else would transfer students ever get into dental/medical school?

Makes sense.

Thanks! Other pre-meds and pre-dents in our program are going all out with those science classes.. Definitely glad I chose to wait.

School is RCHS in Dallas, TX.