Pre-req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modnar

Mmm... workahol
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to enroll for next semester and I noticed that the pharm school i'm applying to requires a semester of "personal communication" class, whatever that is. I already took a speech class when I was getting my BA. Do you think I can weasel my way out of "personal communication" or should I bite the bullet and take it?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can weasel your way out of it. Call just to be sure, but yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

Originally posted by Modnar
I'm getting ready to enroll for next semester and I noticed that the pharm school i'm applying to requires a semester of "personal communication" class, whatever that is. I already took a speech class when I was getting my BA. Do you think I can weasel my way out of "personal communication" or should I bite the bullet and take it?

You might check before you bail on this class to see if it addresses defusing hostile interactions. This is an area which cannot be stressed enough, and falls in the pay me now or pay me later category. You can never get enough of it. The right technique can make the difference between an angry customer screaming out the door or just stomping quietly away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by baggywrinkle
You might check before you bail on this class to see if it addresses defusing hostile interactions. This is an area which cannot be stressed enough, and falls in the pay me now or pay me later category. You can never get enough of it. The right technique can make the difference between an angry customer screaming out the door or just stomping quietly away.
Ooh, that's a good point. If I get a chance to talk to an adviser, I'll ask them about that.

Well I am excited. Just talked to UF COP Admissions and found out that the communication class I took in the olden days counts for my speech prereq. :clap: So that is one less required class. I had already started speech, so now I can drop it.

At my community college the class is totally just how to give a speech. Doesn't cover hostile communication or any other one-on-one type of communciation, so there is no loss there.