Pre-Req Requiem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kboykb

Floetic Artistry
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some opinions here.. it's time to take these pre-reqs! My plan was to take them as a "special student" at this school.. little did I know "special students" don't qualify for financial aid since i'm not seeking a degree.. :eek:

Bummer.

I was all set to start on June 8, so it's kind of a slap in the face when I was so ready to get started.

So now what do you think I should do? Post-Bacc ? The majority of which don't start till next summer.. I can still attempt to get into the ones that start in the fall and spring, kind of late to apply now.. *sigh*

Associates Degree in science? I'll get my pre-reqs, but the degree isn't offered by universities, which is where I'd prefer to take my pre-reqs at.

Or just do the special student thing and try to take out some sort of loan to pay for it??

hmm...

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for some opinions here.. it's time to take these pre-reqs! My plan was to take them as a "special student" at this school.. little did I know "special students" don't qualify for financial aid since i'm not seeking a degree.. :eek:

Bummer.

I was all set to start on June 8, so it's kind of a slap in the face when I was so ready to get started.

So now what do you think I should do? Post-Bacc ? The majority of which don't start till next summer.. I can still attempt to get into the ones that start in the fall and spring, kind of late to apply now.. *sigh*

Associates Degree in science? I'll get my pre-reqs, but the degree isn't offered by universities, which is where I'd prefer to take my pre-reqs at.

Or just do the special student thing and try to take out some sort of loan to pay for it??

hmm...

I can't say I've ever heard of the statement "special student" although I have heard of "nondegree-seeking student." Have you already received your bachelors degree? I can't imagine you being able to take a post-bac program if you haven't finished your bachelors degree. Usually if you already received your bachelors, your chances for financial aid are significantly decreased and forget about Federal aid (Pell and such). Also if you did receive your bachelors, it might be better if you took the prereqs at a 4 yr vs. a community college. If due to timing and proximity the CC route is the only option, well you'll just have to do that and bit the bullet and pay for the classes out of pocket.

The goal is to get the prereqs done, and I would much rather start earlier than later.