Pre-Req

Started by Majic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Majic

Cornfield Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm getting a B.S. in biochemistry and the major requires only one semester of Gen. Bio with two upper level bio courses (Genetics and Adv. Cell Bio.) If I get a good grade in Gen. Chem., I'm able to bypass Gen. Chem II and go to Analytical Chemistry. My question is, will schools not like it if I have only a semester of both those classes but have a B.S. with upper level courses? I figured I'd ask here before I ask my advisor.
 
Instead of making a new thread let me tack on a pre-req question I have:

Am I still competitive if I haven't completed the "soft" requirements such as economics and public speaking? I have a bachelors degree and all the major science courses but I have not satisfied 100% of the requirements.

If I need to take those courses, I would have to enroll in a new university since I moved, and the deadline is approaching. Hmm, don't really want to spend the money on these little courses but if I have to I will.
 
I'm getting a B.S. in biochemistry and the major requires only one semester of Gen. Bio with two upper level bio courses (Genetics and Adv. Cell Bio.) If I get a good grade in Gen. Chem., I'm able to bypass Gen. Chem II and go to Analytical Chemistry. My question is, will schools not like it if I have only a semester of both those classes but have a B.S. with upper level courses? I figured I'd ask here before I ask my advisor.

It's really going to depend on the school. However I think most schools require you complete all the pre-reqs regardless if you have taken upper division classes in the same subjects.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bump. Anyone else? That's what I figured, fenixtnlfan. It sucks but I guess I have to play the game 🙄
 
I'm pretty sure you only have to take the math and science requirements if you have your 4 year degree.