Quantcast

Pre-Req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Majic

Cornfield Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm getting a B.S. in biochemistry and the major requires only one semester of Gen. Bio with two upper level bio courses (Genetics and Adv. Cell Bio.) If I get a good grade in Gen. Chem., I'm able to bypass Gen. Chem II and go to Analytical Chemistry. My question is, will schools not like it if I have only a semester of both those classes but have a B.S. with upper level courses? I figured I'd ask here before I ask my advisor.

Instead of making a new thread let me tack on a pre-req question I have:

Am I still competitive if I haven't completed the "soft" requirements such as economics and public speaking? I have a bachelors degree and all the major science courses but I have not satisfied 100% of the requirements.

If I need to take those courses, I would have to enroll in a new university since I moved, and the deadline is approaching. Hmm, don't really want to spend the money on these little courses but if I have to I will.

fenixtnlfan

P2 Wildcat
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a B.S. in biochemistry and the major requires only one semester of Gen. Bio with two upper level bio courses (Genetics and Adv. Cell Bio.) If I get a good grade in Gen. Chem., I'm able to bypass Gen. Chem II and go to Analytical Chemistry. My question is, will schools not like it if I have only a semester of both those classes but have a B.S. with upper level courses? I figured I'd ask here before I ask my advisor.

It's really going to depend on the school. However I think most schools require you complete all the pre-reqs regardless if you have taken upper division classes in the same subjects.

Majic

Cornfield Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bump. Anyone else? That's what I figured, fenixtnlfan. It sucks but I guess I have to play the game :rolleyes:

jspwinter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you only have to take the math and science requirements if you have your 4 year degree.