pre-reqs at comm college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jav316

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
for people who have done their prereqs at a comm college, how do you know it's accredited? i spoke with an adcoms rep this morning from one of the schools i'm applying and asked if it was acceptable to take prereqs at comm college. She indicated its fine as long as its accredited. I looked on the website of the school where i would take course for information about accredition and this is what i found:

Durham Technical Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate’s degrees. The college is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges, and the following programs are accredited by national associations: the Dental Laboratory Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association; the Occupational Therapy Assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Committee for Occupational Therapy Education; the Opticianry program is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation; and the Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Therapy. In addition, the Pharmacy Technology program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

Is this acceptable? Did anyone run into an issue like this? does this mean it's not accredited nationally?
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

jav316 said:
hello,
for people who have done their prereqs at a comm college, how do you know it's accredited? i spoke with an adcoms rep this morning from one of the schools i'm applying and asked if it was acceptable to take prereqs at comm college. She indicated its fine as long as its accredited. I looked on the website of the school where i would take course for information about accredition and this is what i found:

Durham Technical Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate’s degrees. The college is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges, and the following programs are accredited by national associations: the Dental Laboratory Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association; the Occupational Therapy Assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Committee for Occupational Therapy Education; the Opticianry program is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation; and the Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Therapy. In addition, the Pharmacy Technology program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

Is this acceptable? Did anyone run into an issue like this? does this mean it's not accredited nationally?
thanks!!

That sound's fine to me. I took my intro bio courses at my state's community college and it never even dawned on me to check their "official" accredidation (oops). You may want to check if it is listed on AMCAS (mine was), in which case you should be fine. Good Luck! :)

It's accredited man... " Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools" Those are the magic words.

From what I've been told though some ad-coms poph-pooh cc classes.... Of course as long as a school is accredited they can't NOT accept the credit. They just don't think you work as hard becasue it's a cc class. (Foolishness, in my opinion).... Are you planning on taking classes at a four year school too?

P.S - I'm taking some cc classes too. It's a heck of alot cheaper & way more convenient.... I will take some at a four year to get aroung that cc bias, but I can't do that until I get the funds...

Agape....

Agape

That is a good question amk25a. They are only accredited to award the associate's degree because they are a two year junior college. If they ever wanted to become a 4-year school the state would have to petition for accreditation for their.
Bachelor's programs.

Here is the website for The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The are a regional accrediting agency. You can check up on the college at the site.

http://www.sacscoc.org/

Good fortune...

Agape.