Pre Reqs at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to take Pre Reqs at a Community College. I graduated this year from a 4-year university in Education with a 3.7 GPA, and have been teaching Science and Math. And because of work, and other obligations, Im unable to take classes at a college or university....

Does this decrease my chances? What if I score a solid MCAT score?

Also the community college is a part of a major University.

Members don't see this ad.

More specifically who got in Univeristy of Kentucky or Louisville, getting a degree from a 4-year and then doing pre reqs at a Community College.

Yes it is Ok. Just make sure to explain the reason why you needed to take pre-reqs at a community college....Good :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is Ok. Just make sure to explain the reason why you needed to take pre-reqs at a community college....Good :luck:

Where do you explain this.....personal statement

Where do you explain this.....personal statement

NO. IF and only IF you get asked in an interview (Always assuming you'll get one). I have met several people who have gotten accepted after completing a degree and because of "Issues" having to go and complete pre-reqs at a CC, when interviewed the subject never came up, however I have met people in the same situation and when interviewed they WERE asked why they took their pre-reqs at a CC and they answered similar things to what you stated above (On why you need to complete courses at CC) and they WERE accepted.

All I'm saying is be prepared to answer a question from an adcomm on why you took your pre-reqs at a CC. Sometimes they never ask and never give a crap, while sometimes they do ask.....

However a CC is great way to go (speaking from personal reference, have gone to a CC before), smaller classes, professors concentrate more on individuals in contrast to the entire 300 student body class, more hands on, lab groups are smaller, more lenient when it comes to financial stability issues and etc....