Pre-reqs/classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlee2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
y'all doing well? I hope y'all spending great first week of 2011!! well, I was just wondering about the classes and plans I have in the future. 1st semester I couldn't get into any of bio classes or math classes so I didn't take any. So I tried to take it during 2nd semester but my schedule time didn't fit well :/
So, I want to take my Calc1 class at my community college over summer along with one or two GE classes. If I pass Calc1 I get to take Gen Chem or Physics the upcoming year. So I was thinking about taking Gen Chem and Physics or Gen Chem and Bio or Physics and Bio classes (the pre-req for major) I know it's lot of lab hours but I have no choice. If I don't do this I think I may finish all the pre-req classes like end of junior year. But I will always have to take GE classes at my community college over summer, so I could finish my GE and take major classes. And would you recommend to take upper bio or chem classes? I think I just scrambled all the questions here and there so I will organize it.

1) I didn't take any of pre-req classes for med schools, is it ok to take it over at community college over summer where I live (I live 2 hours away from Fresno)? I will be taking classes at CSU Fresno during school year because that's where I go.

2) If I take classes over summer at community college and pass. Then I get to take Gen Chem or Physics. For upcoming year, should I take Bio and Chem or Bio and Physics or Physics and Chem? (all this will be year around because it is divided into A and B classes, except physics I think) with one or two major classes or GE classes. What are your suggestions?

3) Is it necessary to take upper division bio or chem classes? or just bio classes? if so what kind of classes?

4) When should I be or normally finish all the pre-req classes for med school? I hear people say early Junior year or so. Finishing pre-req ASAP is good?

Thank you, this newbie is asking lotta questions again. sorry ;) I hope y'all have a great week!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi, dlee,
i read your post, and now my head hurts. no offense, but it was difficult to read. also, your questions have been addressed many times before.

i'm in a good mood, though, so to briefly address your questions:
1. it is better to do the prereqs at a 4 yr college. since you are already in one, it is pretty much expected that you do them there.

2. really, it's up to you. you just need chem before ochem and bio before the upper division bio, so i'd do those first.

3. upper division are usually not required, but some are recommended at many schools. usually biochem, genetics, cell bio, physiology are among the most common. go look at some school websites.

4. you should take the prereqs before the mcat, and the mcat is needed to apply. so for people applying during senior year of college, they will usually finish the prereqs by the end of junior year. but technically, you must finish them before matriculating to med school.

again, much of this has been discussed before, so if you need more info, try searching.

hi, dlee,
i read your post, and now my head hurts. no offense, but it was difficult to read. also, your questions have been addressed many times before.

i'm in a good mood, though, so to briefly address your questions:
1. it is better to do the prereqs at a 4 yr college. since you are already in one, it is pretty much expected that you do them there.

2. really, it's up to you. you just need chem before ochem and bio before the upper division bio, so i'd do those first.

3. upper division are usually not required, but some are recommended at many schools. usually biochem, genetics, cell bio, physiology are among the most common. go look at some school websites.

4. you should take the prereqs before the mcat, and the mcat is needed to apply. so for people applying during senior year of college, they will usually finish the prereqs by the end of junior year. but technically, you must finish them before matriculating to med school.

again, much of this has been discussed before, so if you need more info, try searching.

Wow, thank you for brief answers for my questions :D Well, I suppose I need to learn how to search because I am not very good at searching things, haha. Well, I think I would be good with upper division bio classes because of my major, which is Kinesiology:Exercise Science, I need to take some of high bio classes. OH, about the finishing pre-req, are you saying it is ok to finish by end of junior year? and take MCAT during senior year? Anyways, I really appreciate your help!! BTW why was it difficult to read? coz of my grammar or just bunch of ideas listed or perhaps too long? haha sorry I tend to write a lot. But THANK YOU AGAIN!!