Pre-reqs, Plan A or Plan B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icanseeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ive been out of college a while (late 20's). Going back to take prereqs for med school. Have a business degree and took lots of soft sciences as electives, (sociology, psychology, anthropology etc..) I did take Gen Bio I w/o lab out of curiosity one quarter and got an A. The only other relevant science/math I took during college was college alg...which I barely got a C in. In addition to med school pre reqs Im taking a long sequence of math classes. Recently I took an Intro Physics I, got an A in there as well.

Im a little constrained regarding the order of classes due to math prerequisites. I will probably take a third or fourth class during one or more quarters to satisfy MCAT15 requirements, but that is not important for this post.

Plan A:

Winter 14: Math,Gen Bio I.
Spring 14: Math, Gen Bio II, Gen Chem I
Summer 14: Math, Gen Chem II
Fall 14: Math, Gen Chem III, Gen Bio III

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter 15: Ochem I, Physics I
Spring 15: Ochem II, Physics II (ends early June)

Summer 15: Take MCAT? (June? July?)

Fall 15: Ochem III, Physics III, APPLY?

So Id be taking MCAT before finishing up Physics and Ochem sequence. Another thing I dont like about Plan A is the fact Id be studying for the MCAT during Spring 15 and it feels a bit rushed.

Plan B,

Basically like Plan A, except instead of applying to med schools Fall '15, Id apply Fall '16. Id take an extra year to finish pre-reqs and have extra time to study for MCAT. What I dont like about Plan B is that Im going to be a year older.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like Plan A. I think a semester of dedicated MCAT prep is more than enough. Many students study for the MCAT while taking a full course load and extracurriculars and do well.

:D

Thanks! Also, should I have posted this in mcat forum?