Pre-req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tao08244

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious how many years it took most of you, who are in pharmacy school or who will be in pharmacy school, to complete the pre-pharm req's. I'm finishing up my 2nd yr of college and I'm not even half-way done with the pre-req's. I've completed 1 yr of general bio, 1 yr of general chem, 1 yr calculus, and 1 yr english. I have many more classes to go. How were you guys able to finish all the requirements within 2-3 yrs?

Members don't see this ad.

2 years. It broke down something like this:

1st year-1st semester
Rhetoric-Argumentative Writing
Humanities
Physics I + Lab
Gen Chem I + Lab

1st year-2nd Semester
Rhetoric-Research Writing
Physics II + Lab
Gen Chem II + Lab
Calculus

Summer
Organic Chem I
Organic Chem II

2nd year-1st Semester
Gen Biology + Lab
Organic Chem I Lab
Economics
Psychology
Religious Studies

2nd year-2nd Semester
Human Anatomy
Genetics + Lab
Organic Chem II Lab
Ethics
Speech

I might have left out some minor classes in my first year, but I think I got all the major ones down. Good luck to you in your studies!

Took me about 21 years to finish the prereqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started in 1981 and I should be done sometime next summer.

I got my AA back then, and had taken Physics I&II and Calculus 1-3.

So this time around, I started in January, I should be done next May. That is 3 full semesters and 1 summer semester. Going part time since I work full time. I did Chem I in Spring 2004, doing Biology I and Chem II this summer, doing A&P I, Bio II and OChem I in the fall, then A&P II and OChem II in the spring.

5+ years :D

Ok, so I did manage to squeeze a psychology BA in there too and work for awhile.

But to more specificially answer your question:
While getting my degree I completed Gen Chem 1 & 2, Bio 1, Calc and Stats and of course all the other electives.

I took O-chem 1 the following year (I worked for a college and could take a free class)

Then between Jan-Aug of 2003 I finished O-chem 2, both physics courses, both anatomy courses, bio 2, and econ. It was a hectic few months but I made it out just fine :) I would rather take a little longer and do as well as I can than scramble to fit it all in and not do as well as possible. Besides, your college years should be fun too, you know??? You've got lots and lots of years to spend in the workforce!

When I first started college, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I just took random classes... but the summer of my freshman year I was sure pharmacy was what I wanted to do, so from then on I took nothing but pre-reqs. Finished all the pre-reqs by summer quarter of sophomore year. But I wanted to strengthen my application so I didn't apply last year and instead spent this year taking upper-level science classes and also spent more time volunteering at an outpatient pharmacy. I applied this year and got into my first and second choice :) So to answer your question... 3 years~

3 years ! Because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in my freshman year.

Did you guys get a BS or BA before you applied to pharmacy school or did you just apply after you finished just the pre-req's?

It took me a long time (many, many years) to get my AA in general education. When I decided to pursue a BS in biology, I did all the science & math in 2 years including summers.

I don't know anyone at UF who did it in two years. They require at least an AA plus 44 hours of math and science credits. Once I saw that, it didn't take much more effort to go ahead and get the BS. I just increased my load.

I decided to just go for a BA in biology since a representative from Western U came to my school and informed us that if you apply to pharmacy school and you have a BA or BS, you get extra points on your application.

tao08244 said:
I decided to just go for a BA in biology since a representative from Western U came to my school and informed us that if you apply to pharmacy school and you have a BA or BS, you get extra points on your application.

That sounds like a great idea :thumbup: More and more schools are increasing their number of admits with a prior degree. :luck: I personally notice a huge difference in my classmates with degrees and those without - I won't say which I think have a definite advantage, but I think you can guess.