pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mill_z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a length of time before your prereqs become out dated and not accepted on med. school apps?

Members don't see this ad.

mill_z said:
Is there a length of time before your prereqs become out dated and not accepted on med. school apps?
Most schools,i believe, have a 5-6 year limit on the core science classes. Having said that, I would contact the schools for a more definite answer. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
mill_z said:

I took Gen Chem I&II 9 years ago and received no questions about it from LECOM, WVSOM, Touro, DMU, GAPCOM or KCOM. I know there are some MD schools that have a time restriction, so some DO schools may have the same?

I think you mean "pre-recs."

No, pre-req's...Like pre-requisites, no? :)

I've also heard of a 10 year limit, but it's not set in stone. Depends on the school. Basically, if you've got pre-req classes that are very old, if you can, have some updated science classes (helps to have letters of rec from more recent profs as well) and do even better on MCAT. If you do well on the test, which is only valid for 3 years, it will show that you still know the material and shouldn't be a problem. I've got real old chem and bio courses and have had no issue at LECOM or TUCOM. But it might be best to double check with your 1st and 2nd choice schools at least- better to be sure.