Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 20 years old and I am currently enrolled in a community college. I am going onto my senior year currently. I started off as a Pre-Law and changed, so I had to start over. I will have my pre-reqs aka my Associates of Pre-Pharmacy in the Spring of 2012. I am taking the PCAT by the end of this year as well. My GPA is a 2.7 but I am going to bring it up to the 3.0's by the time I graduate. Am I on the right track? What do I need to do about extra curriculars and community service? My professor is going to write me an LOR which can get me into any school I want to go to as long as my PCAT score is good.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 20 years old and I am currently enrolled in a community college. I am going onto my senior year currently. I started off as a Pre-Law and changed, so I had to start over. I will have my pre-reqs aka my Associates of Pre-Pharmacy in the Spring of 2012. I am taking the PCAT by the end of this year as well. My GPA is a 2.7 but I am going to bring it up to the 3.0's by the time I graduate. Am I on the right track? What do I need to do about extra curriculars and community service? My professor is going to write me an LOR which can get me into any school I want to go to as long as my PCAT score is good.

I'd like to know who this professor is that he can guarantee his letter will be SO influential that it'll open the gates of Heaven to you on his name alone. No such beast, and to buy into that is to invite insanity into your life. He's blowing smoke up your 4th point of contact if he told you that.

Moving on... GPA > 3.0 is a great start as well as a strong PCAT (75th %tile and up). You should look around for the pre-pharmacy / pre-medicine club at your school. If there is one, try to get in, and nail down some leadership time. Also, you could benefit from volunteering - You need NOT volunteer in a pharmacy or health-related - Anything in the community is great! Homeless shelter, reading to blind children, etc. The Rotary Club is a good spot to start looking...

And you'll want more than one loR anyway. I prepared four. Some schools want 2, some want 3, some will take 4, but only really look at 3, etc. But, I've never seen one that wants just one LoR. So... get to it!

Anyway, good luck. You might not have a lot of time to get volunteering hours in if you're already taking the PCAT and getting your PR done by S12... I'm guessing you're thinking about applying now (June '11 for Fall '12 matric) or waiting until next June?

Is it printed on hundred dollar bills? :laugh:

But you seem to be on the right track, I am sure you will be fine. Make sure to shadow or volunteer in a pharmacy (or better yet, work if possible). If your GPA is above 3, you do well on the PCAT, and you have some pharmacy experience, you will get in somewhere no doubt. Plus you have that LOR. ;)