Pre-requisite Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexrmis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently in my second year of college and I have had my mind set towards medical school until I found out some information today. I think I am understanding what pre-requisite courses I need but it sounds scary to me to know how far behind I am. I saw on one particular medical school's admission webpage that these courses are required. So that means everything below has to be completed as an undergraduate with a C or better in order to be eligible to apply?

8 hours of general chemistry with laboratory
8 hours of organic chemistry with laboratory
8 hours of physics with laboratory
8 hours of biology with laboratory
3 hours of biochemistry
6 hours of English
6 hours of mathematics

I have my 6 hours of English and 6 hours of mathematics completed but the other 35 hours of sciences are not complete. Additionally, I cannot take physics I and II without calculus I and II and I cannot take calculus I without precalculus and trigonometry. The credit hours counter is almost definitely going to go over the limit and I'll be hit with out of state tuition. I also know I wouldn't finish in my remaining time unless I take summer classes. Am I correct by believing that all the courses listed is what an individual needs to complete with a C or better to be eligible to apply to medical school? Wouldn't that mean that even if you completed all the courses satisfactorily that you only earned eligibility and that acceptance is still miles away since MCAT scores, experience, grades, and other factors have to be factored in and put against every other student that has applied to medical school? I feel sick knowing that I just found out what I needed to know before college.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I am currently in my second year of college and I have had my mind set towards medical school until I found out some information today. I think I am understanding what pre-requisite courses I need but it sounds scary to me to know how far behind I am. I saw on one particular medical school's admission webpage that these courses are required. So that means everything below has to be completed as an undergraduate with a C or better in order to be eligible to apply?

8 hours of general chemistry with laboratory
8 hours of organic chemistry with laboratory
8 hours of physics with laboratory
8 hours of biology with laboratory
3 hours of biochemistry
6 hours of English
6 hours of mathematics

I'd start with a close read of this: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/biochem/ahern/AhernRajagopalMedBook.pdf

and this: https://www.meded.umn.edu/futuredocs/documents/The-Hand-of-a-Phenomenal-Pre-Med.pdf

Bolded is not true. You usually need them before matriculation. So, you could save the English and a math class for your last semester of undergrad or the summer if you wanted to string it out that long.

You really should take the intro bio series, gen chem, physics, Ochem 1, and biochem before the MCAT. I would look closely at the schools you are considering to see if you can substitute Biochem for Orgo 2. Orgo 2 is low-yield for MCAT and a very painful slog through reactions that should be avoided if possible. Buy the MSAR for each school's prereq list.

The MCAT is now including sociology and psychology, but I'm not sure if those are "required" courses yet.

Many people take a year or two off after college to finish classes, work, or study for MCAT, or all of these. It's not something that should be rushed if you want a good outcome. I don't know anyone who took time off before medical school who regrets it, but I know many who regret not taking a year or two outside of full-time academics between college and medical school.

Last edited:
The road to becoming a Physician is not for the faint of heart. It will take years of classes, many hours of sitting by yourself reading textbooks, and doing a lot of homework problems. After the four years of college, four years of medical school, and three to seven years of residency, some doctors regret their decisions, while others say they would do it all over again. I'm a Sophomore like you, and even I am having my doubts as to whether or not all of this is a good idea.

As far as the grades go, you say getting a "C or better", and yes, that is the bare minimum. However, remember that you can only get a few C's, and the vast majority of your grades should be A's and B's. Ideally, you'll want to keep your GPA above 3.5 to be competitive( 3.5 is a B+ average).

If it's time you're worrying about, then just don't worry. There are people who start medical school in their 30's and 40's(Non-Traditional Students). Take your time in school, and get good grades. But make sure this is something you are willing to devote your 20's to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can usually do trig based physics (easier)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I think I am only starting to realize just how long the road to becoming a physician is. I think I need to spend more time thinking over how much passion I actually would have being a physician.