Pre-requisite courses for an Engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Engineering student from University of Toronto. I'm missing the full year of English, and I only have a half year of organic chemistry with labs. I haven't taken a biochemistry course either.
I have taken enough courses to meet the Biology, Physics, Math and Chemistry prerequisites.

I took IB HL English, I think I got a 5. Also took IB HL Chem, got a 7.

I might be able to squeeze in a full year of English this year (4th year), but I would have to overload term 2, with a total of 5 courses + thesis.
I have the option to take a biochemistry course for one term, but I think BCH is lame.

Are there any colleges in the US that don't have these prerequisites? Should I bother trying to pack all the prerequisites into my final year? Do the universities consider future coursework as meeting the prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As an engineering major, guess what I did: course overload. I packed my summers, and went beyond credit limits during the school year. I would only recommend this if you're up for it though, because you're gonna spend a lot of hours in the library by yourself.

Then again, the countless hours in the library might help you prepare for med school. And I would try to avoid IB classes and actually take them at your school, and while you may think biochem is lame, it's definitely a major topic in med school; so learning biochem beforehand can give you a better idea if medicine is for you.

I guess what I meant was, if I were to take BCH, I would have to give up taking Biocomputation (http://www.apsc.utoronto.ca/Calendars/2012-2013/Course_Descriptions.html#ECE448H1).
Biocomputation seems far more interesting :(

Any ideas about taking prereqs in the year that I apply? And are the english, ochem, bchem prerequisites common for every college or are there some that don't have them?

It seems kind of late to apply to US med schools anyway and I would rather wait a year than try to cram all the prereqs and still not get admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually don't think BCH is prereq at most places. I've just always heard it was suggested before taking the MCAT.