Pre-requisites for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lildochapi777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an undergraduate student going for DO. What are the subjects required for any DO college in general? I would also like to know which college is the best for continuing premed and also for DO.

Members don't see this ad.

The prerequesite courses are the same as M.D. schools: a year each with lab of general bio, general chem, organic chem, and physics. Some schools have additional requirements such as language, math, or other humanities courses-- but most don't.

Not sure what you're getting at with the second part of your question.

The prerequesite courses are the same as M.D. schools: a year each with lab of general bio, general chem, organic chem, and physics. Some schools have additional requirements such as language, math, or other humanities courses-- but most don't.

Not sure what you're getting at with the second part of your question.

the second part is which school is best for studying premed and DO in your view. I have been to a school which gives requirements for additional subjects and i would like to know which college would be more efficient for premed.

Members don't see this ad :)
the second part is which school is best for studying premed and DO in your view

So you are willing to travel anywhere in the USA to take pre-req courses?

It doesn't matter. Just get them done, and do well. As far as "which DO school is best," well, I'll leave that up to someone else.

So you are willing to travel anywhere in the USA to take pre-req courses?

It doesn't matter. Just get them done, and do well. As far as "which DO school is best," well, I'll leave that up to someone else.

im not travelling. im studying in NY. and thanks for the good wishes. :D

ok ive taken care of some of the additional subjects and i want to do the more important subjects. im an undergraduate n finished two semesters so what are some good suggestions to move ahead?

I don't think we can really answer that question with the limited amount of information you've given us lol. Sorry man.
But here's a cookie cutter/ fits all answer:
Take biology + chem your first year, then take organic chemistry your second, then take physics and biochem or physiology your 3rd. Also remember to allot some time to Mcat studying during your second semester of junior year and try to take the mcat around late april.

I don't think we can really answer that question with the limited amount of information you've given us lol. Sorry man.
But here's a cookie cutter/ fits all answer:
Take biology + chem your first year, then take organic chemistry your second, then take physics and biochem or physiology your 3rd. Also remember to allot some time to Mcat studying during your second semester of junior year and try to take the mcat around late april.

thnx n sorry about the limited info. still new to these forums lol. btw i finished my freshman year-both semesters. im going on to my second year.

thnx n sorry about the limited info. still new to these forums lol. btw i finished my freshman year-both semesters. im going on to my second year.

oh yeah and another thing is how many credits would i need before i go into premed and in what subjects? if there are more than the ones mentioned before, that is...

Premed isn't a major, but many schools offer a premed track in certain majors such as General Biology. A lot of premeds will do General Bio since it usually contains all of the prereqs needed to apply to med schools. These are what you need:

Biology Semester Hours 8
General Chemistry Semester Hours 8
Organic Chemistry Semester Hours 8
Physics Semester Hours 8
English Semester Hours 6

At least with Texas schools they are starting to drop the calculus requirement and replace it with stats. If you go for a BS in bio though you will probably need calc anyway but you can always do a BA instead.

As far as classes to prepare you I would go with genetics, anatomy/physiology, biochemistry, and anything else like endocrinology, toxicology, or medical mycology that would be useful/look good to med schools. Good luck!

oh yeah and another thing is how many credits would i need before i go into premed and in what subjects? if there are more than the ones mentioned before, that is...

I don't quite understand what you're asking. But if you're asking what classes you need then:
8 Credit Hours of Gen chem w/lab
8 Credit Hours of O Chem w/lab
8 Credit Hours of Physics w/lab
8 Credit Hours of Gen Biology w/lab
3-4 Credit Hours of Math (Stat or Calc)
3-6 Credit Hours of English
Recommended:
Biochem
Physiology