Pre-residency fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureidoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all... just writing here to get some informaion regarding fellowship positions before doing a residency... i have heard that a couple of programs have such opportunities... can anyone elaborate on this??

1. which are the programs that offer these, and which fellowships?
2. what are the chances of then getting into a residency after completing a fellowship first?
3. how is it technically possible (from an experience/surgical point of view) to have something like this? i.e. how is one expected to operate on people if they have not received basic ophthalmology training...

thanks in advance....

Members don't see this ad.

I believe many of these fellowships are heavy on research. There may be good clinical experience too, but I don't know of many (if any) that actually have you performing surgery. Not sure where exactly to find these - sometimes word of mouth is best. Pick a specialty you like and ask your department faculty if the need or know anyone who needs a fellow.

1. This info you have to search for yourself i.e. contact someone in the dept. and tell them you are interested. It's not really a fellowship in the sense of glaucoma, etc. - it is research.

2. I would guess if you work with the right person, your chances increase. You also get to buff up your CV with pubs/abstracts, etc. So your stock does rise.

3. Again, you do not operate - you most likely will not have patient contact.

The fellowships you are referring to are generally research fellowships.
Two types of people do these types of fellowships:

1) US med school graduates who need to improve their candidacy.
2) Froeign med school graduates or ophthalmologists who want to practice ophthalmology in the US and are looking to improve their candidacy and make connections.

Unless you were already an ophthalmologist in another country, most likely you will not have any clinical involvement.