"pre-residency position"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the pre-residency positions offered for neurosurgery. What is that? Some programs have 1-2 years of "preresidency positions", 1 year of preliminary surgery is required. Does that mean that you are esentially junior resident for 2 years, on Q4 or Q3 call and you are not really advancing in your training because you are not technically in the neurosurgery residency program?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly. This is usually for FMGs (although there is no reason why US grads couldn't also do this) so that the program can see how clinically competent this people are as the foreign medical education varies considerably. These pre-residency fellows are essentially cheap labor for the department. Since they are not in an ACGME accredited program their hours are likely not limited also (although I can't say this for a fact). You will likely be worked very hard in this type of program but that is the whole point --- to show the program that you can work hard.

Is the pre residency year worth doing? I heard that the preliminary year doesn't have a very good reputation with FMG and many doctors, often with years of experience, spend years in this post waiting for a surgical residency program to accept them which of couse many dont.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the pre-residency positions offered for neurosurgery. What is that? Some programs have 1-2 years of "preresidency positions", 1 year of preliminary surgery is required. Does that mean that you are esentially junior resident for 2 years, on Q4 or Q3 call and you are not really advancing in your training because you are not technically in the neurosurgery residency program?

Thanks.

What programs are these that you refer to with pre-residency positions?

so essentially it would be a preliminary "non" designated residency for 1 yr. then, a pre-residency position for 1-2 yrs, depending on the program. afterwards, one would apply for a pgy-2 (neurosurgery) position or a pgy-1 position?

There is a listing of some at sfmatch (link). Other programs don't advertise them so you have to ask around.

Hmm interesting. I never ventured away from ophtho section of SFMatch. Very surprised to see "top"? programs offering pre-residency spots for NSG. One is for UPenn and Brighan/Harvard Hospital. I am not quite sure if these are top programs in NSG but they are famed name places. How does one find the track records (i.e. how many have gotten residencies after these) for these fellowships? I never knew NSG had this many pre-residency spots - I always thought derm was the only one!

Preresidency is cheap labor for an additional 2-3 years; they technically can keep you in preresidency forever. There is one guy here, that has been on preresidency for 2 years, and this year they renewed his contract for another 2 years. Here preresidency is basically a junior resident position, you take call Q3 and work till you die, but never do you see the light at the end of the tunnel (the end of your residency). I don't like this idea, but I guess it works for the residency programs.

Preresidency is cheap labor for an additional 2-3 years; they technically can keep you in preresidency forever. There is one guy here, that has been on preresidency for 2 years, and this year they renewed his contract for another 2 years. Here preresidency is basically a junior resident position, you take call Q3 and work till you die, but never do you see the light at the end of the tunnel (the end of your residency). I don't like this idea, but I guess it works for the residency programs.

What place is "here"?