cut to the chase- what position am i in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok well i recently really am considering neurosurg although its not somethign i have drempt about and woudl be happy doign other things and i am giogn to wait until i get my step1 score to limit which fields i end up applying but as of now its my first choice. so i have little idea of the competitivness of the field and my question is what are the chances of ending up in a good-very good program with this appplication:
preclin grades- basically all Passes
no research as i am not a big fan of it
3rd year grades- mix of honors and passes
step1 >250

will the step make up for an average application? id like some realistic thoughts. Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

It's your first choice but you'd be happier doing other things...not sure why those other things are not your first choice. Are you predicting a Step 1 score over 250?? or do you have that? Passes in pre-clinical courses does not bode well for a step 1 over 250 but it is possible.

A Step 1 > 250 will definitely be helpful as the average Step 1 score for matched applicants has been around 235 in recent years. It would also be helpful to have some research although as you may be passed over at the top programs without it.

Connections though can really be the name of the game so do some electives and see if you like it and if they can like you.

crys20 said:
Ok well i recently really am considering neurosurg although its not somethign i have drempt about and woudl be happy doign other things and i am giogn to wait until i get my step1 score to limit which fields i end up applying but as of now its my first choice. so i have little idea of the competitivness of the field and my question is what are the chances of ending up in a good-very good program with this appplication:
preclin grades- basically all Passes
no research as i am not a big fan of it
3rd year grades- mix of honors and passes
step1 >250

will the step make up for an average application? id like some realistic thoughts. Thanks so much

Lets cut to the chase. It doesn't really sound like you want it bad enough.

Lets face it, every thing has an opportunity cost.
If you really wanted to do neurosurgery or (any other competitive field), you have to be willing to study hard enough to get good grades, bust your ass 3rd year and get letters from the right people. Suck it up, find a project that interests you and do research.
Step score alone will only make up for so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
hans19 said:
Lets cut to the chase. It doesn't really sound like you want it bad enough.

Lets face it, every thing has an opportunity cost.
If you really wanted to do neurosurgery or (any other competitive field), you have to be willing to study hard enough to get good grades, bust your ass 3rd year and get letters from the right people. Suck it up, find a project that interests you and do research.
Step score alone will only make up for so much.

listen asswipe dont tell me what i want and do not want. For one i despise research,i think it is for dweebs and does not interest me at all. second i didnt get poor grades just cause you get passes. it means that you focused yoru studies on step1 material and learning concepts rather than memrozing a profs minutia. so why dont you go shove it you ass clown

crys20 said:
listen asswipe dont tell me what i want and do not want. For one i despise research,i think it is for dweebs and does not interest me at all. second i didnt get poor grades just cause you get passes. it means that you focused yoru studies on step1 material and learning concepts rather than memrozing a profs minutia. so why dont you go shove it you ass clown

chill dude...
You asked the forum to cut to the chase and to be honest "all passes" is not considered good grades if you are trying to do neurosurgery. A step of 250 is great but residencies may question a student's work ethic with low grades and high step1. I'm not questioning your work ethic just stating a fact. I think a more balanced application is key. Good luck.

crys20 said:
listen a..wipe dont tell me what i want and do not want. For one i despise research,i think it is for dweebs and does not interest me at all. second i didnt get poor grades just cause you get passes. it means that you focused yoru studies on step1 material and learning concepts rather than memrozing a profs minutia. so why dont you go shove it you a.. clown

Ok you came to this forum looking for advice and get pissy when someone calls you out on your desire to do neurosurgery? Ok... when you apply the program directors and chairmen or different programs will question your desire also. All of us the matched into the field have busted our tails in med school to get a spot. That includes grades, board scores and yes research. I don't know anybody that I interviewed with that did not have some type of research. Most people had numerous publications and even some with book chapters. If you want to do neurosurgery you have to realize the type of applicants that you will be competing against. The program I matched into board scores, letters of rec. and research & publications were very important.

My advice (if you want it) is to figure out if neurosurgery is really what you want to do. It is a long road with most programs being 7 years long and that includes a year of research. Whether or not it's a true year of research is up to the program and another topic of discussion.

MPP and Han19 both made good points and offered some good advice.

Good luck with your decision.

crys20 said:

Listen, you wanted the straight dope, so I gave it to you. If you can't stand the heat-- get out of the kitchen!

Good luck, because it sounds like you're really gonna need it!
:rolleyes:

crys20 said:

I think this is exactly what you should say on all your interviews.

I, for one, hope this guy speaks a little better than he writes.

("dweebs" -- I haven't heard this word since the third grade!!!! :laugh: )

I think what this guy is trying to say is that yes, he wants neurosurgery, but he does understand how competitive it is, and if for some reason he does not get offered a residency, then instead of crying, whining, jumping off a bridge, and believing that life is just not worth livining anymore, he'd instead move on, suck it up, and be happy in another field. To be honest, he really doesn't have a choice, after four years of med school , you pretty much have to become some kind of physician if you want to pay all of that money back.

My advice, do research, yes, even if you hate it, I don't see how you will stand a chance if you do not do any. In fact, most NS programs will require you to do some in your senior years. So suck it up, just do it, and if you become a NS, get through residency, and never want to do it again, that is your business!!

Second, get out there on rotations and show them how bad you want it!

Third, if you don't get it, then do at least a general surgery internship and try again in the future.

And lastly, just keep in mind that if you do not get it, don't get down on yourself.

Enough said here.