Pre-Vet Abroad Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ben and Me

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize if this has already been posted...

I got the following email from the Admissions Dept at Washington State and thought there might be some interested pre-vets on here!



Hello! Could you please forward this email to all pre-vet students about this incredible opportunity to travel, gain experience in the veterinary field, and even make a difference as a pre-vet volunteer?

My name is Rachel Kim, I am a current student and the VIDA Coordinator at UW. I am looking for motivated pre-veterinary students interested in volunteering abroad and gaining an awesome eye-opening experience in veterinary medicine (or for those who would like to start). VIDA which stands for Volunteers for Intercultural and Definitive Adventures is a non-profit humanitarian organization that provides hands on experience offering the basic needs to the under served, poverty ridden villages of Central America under the guidance of highly qualified, bi-lingual veterinarians.

Last summer, I traveled and volunteered with the first official UW VIDA group of 28 students and one from Oregon State to Costa Rica and Nicaragua (10 of which were pre-vet students from UW). During the trip, pre-vet volunteers were trained and able to assist in injections, spaying/neutering animals of all sizes, and learn about the impact of veterinary work on a global scale.

On the streets of Cartago, Costa Rica and Bocas del Toro, Panama there are thousands of homeless street dogs literally starving and covered in mange, fleas, and fungus. Many other animals suffer needlessly at the hands of their owners who lack education and understanding about providing proper care. VIDA educates pet owners about the importance of basic needs like access to water, food, and proper shelter and about the dangers in using tight collars and short ropes.

I am coordinating a trip to travel and volunteer in Costa Rica and Panama this summer from August 27th - September 10th for pre-vet, pre-med, and pre-dental students. I have about 4 or 5 more spots open for pre-vet student volunteers to travel with us. Deadline to apply: May 29th, 2009. (Pre-vet students must have at least 25 hours of observing spay/neuter surgeries if they wish to participate in these procedures on the trip, as well as have studied the basic small animal anatomy prior to this amazing trip. We will also visit a sloth sanctuary!)

For more information please check out the VIDA website: http://vidavolunteertravel.org/veterinary.php If you would like to see what pre-vet student volunteers will be doing watch these videos on youtube created by VIDA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdYIPCT8v8M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSXjgYyXSVo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQLhIm9-1nw

If you have any questions please email me at: [email protected]
Thank you so much!
-- Rachel Kim
Biochemistry
VIDA Coordinator University of Washington
 
Here are many, many others:

Turks & Caicos, research:
http://www.fieldstudies.org/pages/1014_turks_caicos_islands_summer.cfm

Australia, research:
http://www.fieldstudies.org/pages/857_australia_new_zealand.cfm

Kenya wildlife conservation:
http://www.jubileeventures.org/volunteerkenya/kenya-wildlife-volunteer.html

World Vets, scroll down to the near bottom of the page:
http://www.worldvets.org/Trips.html

Galapagos Island:
http://www.animalbalance.net/campaignnews.html

South Africa, working under a veterinarian in Kruger National Park. You dart Giraffes and bandage up Rhinos and do necropsies on whatever shows up dead. Yes please! I ALMOST signed up for it this summer:
http://www.wildlifevets.com/NewWebsite/WLCIntroCmedicine.htm
 
Here are many, many others:

Turks & Caicos, research:
http://www.fieldstudies.org/pages/1014_turks_caicos_islands_summer.cfm

Australia, research:
http://www.fieldstudies.org/pages/857_australia_new_zealand.cfm

Kenya wildlife conservation:
http://www.jubileeventures.org/volunteerkenya/kenya-wildlife-volunteer.html

World Vets, scroll down to the near bottom of the page:
http://www.worldvets.org/Trips.html

Galapagos Island:
http://www.animalbalance.net/campaignnews.html

South Africa, working under a veterinarian in Kruger National Park. You dart Giraffes and bandage up Rhinos and do necropsies on whatever shows up dead. Yes please! I ALMOST signed up for it this summer:
http://www.wildlifevets.com/NewWebsite/WLCIntroCmedicine.htm


SWEET! Thanks for sharing that!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just thought I'd bring this thread back up so more people could recommend study abroad programs they have done. I just completed the equine summer school offered by adelante. I would HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone who has a hard time getting experience with horses. This is NOT veterinary experience, but the classes are informative, its a great way to explore Scotland, we even visited the vet school, and it was great fun. If anyone else wants to share their experience, please do!!!!!!!!!!!!