Pre vet and being a Hunter?

Started by siker11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I utilize ever bit of an animal I can. I have ferrets that are on a raw diet, so they get livers, hearts, etc. And then we use the rest. Sooo in a way it is a sport, cause I do enjoy hunting, but I do use every bit I possibly can for food. But I have this feeling that in an interview they would just look down upon me for hunting. I want to get into large exotics, (wild or Captive) so I would feel that would hurt my chances.....
Half of one of my interviews was about hunting and how I got a scholarship in undergraduate on hunting and conservation. I'm an avid hunter and am proud of it.
 
Also, I decided to get more into this. Sorry. None of this should be new to you, though.

Ferrets are stinky because they have musk glands, not because of diet (although I'd imagine that diet allows for the musk to be produced). I didn't have to use Wikipedia for that one. They are of the family Mustelidae. Mustelidae. It's a natural odor and not something to flaunt when you don't have it. Parents of stinky ferrets are doing nothing wrong, even if they use store-bought food that you dislike. Depending on where you got your ferrets, they may have had their anal glands removed to begin with, which could explain the decrease in smell. The majority of ferret owners don't know that the procedure ever happened. Perhaps you just lucked out with your pets, and they just don't produce musk at the levels other ferrets do. Some dogs have anal glands that peel the paint. Others have anal glands that don't knock you off your feet (although they still aren't pleasant....).

I'm big on knowing the differences between "wild ancestors" and the animal you call your pet. My dog's ancestors were wolves. Do I go out and catch a rabbit to feed her? No. It wouldn't necessarily be a good source of nutrition for her. Plus my pet rabbit would be offended. Petsmart does stock junky food, but they also stock food that is perfectly acceptable for small mammals. You don't have to buy your ferret the candy coated treats. To be honest, the worst treats are down the hamster/bird aisles, not the ferret section. I'm no veterinarian, but I regularly scrutinize the aisles at Petsmart and haven't seen anything in the ferret section that is as bad as the pocket pet 'trail mix' foods.

I'm not going to try and sway your opinion, but here is a link from a veterinary school: http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital/service...cation/feeding-and-caring-for-your-pet-ferret.

Unneutered ferrets can smell pretty crappy, but he's honestly right that well-cared for ferrets don't smell that much. If a neutered ferret is noticeable stinky in a clinic, I do wonder what the living conditions are like at home. Although I don't think the diet matters as much as giving them adequate space and clean bedding, constantly empty the litter boxes, etc. Ferrets get a bad rep because people keep them in those ridiculously tiny hamster/guinea pig homes, don't clean their boxes, etc - no crap they smell bad! Keep a dog in their crate 24/7 with a corner litter box and they'd smell horrible too! Grr.

And the anal sacs being removed honestly don't make a big difference in scent - one of mine is not descented, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've inadvertently scared him and he's released that lovely odor.

There's some pretty horrible ferret treats at my local pet store - we're talking big pineapple and apple chunks in a trail mix, marketed towards ferrets. 🙄
 
Sorry, I'm not meaning to be confrontational, but I told you already bolding indicates yelling, it indicates you feel strongly about something and that you are emotionally charged about it, you will get responses back to you that maybe seem upset or angry because that is how people will take bolded words on the internet, whether you mean it that way or not. It might come up in an interview, I just disagree with how and why. I also disagree with the statement of showing consistency with ethics, it isn't unethical so there is no inconsistency. However, you are correct that the OP might need to anticipate a question about hunting, however the act of hunting won't be an issue.

The feeding raw diet to the ferrets however might be an issue.
The bolded statement is a broad generalization and not correct at all, unfortunately. There are many ethical issues involved with hunting, and making a sweeping claim that hunting in its entirety isn't unethical shows a lack of a deeper understanding of the issue. Hunting isn't just going into the woods with a gun and camouflage. What about canned hunts in the Americas, where animals are shipped in and often bred (or inbred: see white lions) for pure sport? What about the using dogs to kill game instead of dispatching it with a gun? What about hunting regulations on the use of different kinds of trapping and snaring methods? What about hunting whales? Maybe you think northern people who depend on their meat and blubber for sustenance should be able to hunt them, or maybe you think whales are non-human persons and have the right to be protected from hunts. Maybe a person sees in the logic in trophy hunting, but it still seems unethical to them and makes them uncomfortable. The term "hunting" encompasses a huge number of methods and issues and ethics absolutely should come into the discussion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There seems to be a lot of back and forward with "hunting" I understand where you come from,
with trapping, the game farms, etc. There are a lot of hunting techniques that i dont agree with. But i look at it from me being a Bow hunter, that goes in the woods from dusk till dawn, waiting for that perfect shot, so that the deer doesnt suffer, etc. In that aspect, i would feel okay (after listening to your guy's opinions on it) talking about it, embracing it as a part of my life.

Now if i would say that i trap or dog hunt etc, that would be a little more sketchy i would agree.
 
The bolded statement is a broad generalization and not correct at all, unfortunately. There are many ethical issues involved with hunting, and making a sweeping claim that hunting in its entirety isn't unethical shows a lack of a deeper understanding of the issue. Hunting isn't just going into the woods with a gun and camouflage. What about canned hunts in the Americas, where animals are shipped in and often bred (or inbred: see white lions) for pure sport? What about the using dogs to kill game instead of dispatching it with a gun? What about hunting regulations on the use of different kinds of trapping and snaring methods? What about hunting whales? Maybe you think northern people who depend on their meat and blubber for sustenance should be able to hunt them, or maybe you think whales are non-human persons and have the right to be protected from hunts. Maybe a person sees in the logic in trophy hunting, but it still seems unethical to them and makes them uncomfortable. The term "hunting" encompasses a huge number of methods and issues and ethics absolutely should come into the discussion.

Ok, nobody dives into all the different areas of a particular topic when responding.

The OP is clearly talking about hunting for food, that is what I am discussing. I even put in the caveat prior of as long as you aren't doing any illegal hunting of protected species, you are fine.

I know about all the other crap you posted above but it wasn't necessary to detail out every detail in response to the OP for the stated question. If you want to have a 15+ page discussion on every single thing that is involved with hunting... go for it. But I am discussing on what the OP stated not on every single possible minutia that you can drag up on the topic involved, if we did that we'd be at this for months and really isn't the point of the OP's question, though you are free to talk about those things if you wish. And I highly doubt an interview committee at a vet school is going to drag up questions about whale hunting to someone who is shooting deer out in the woods, so while it is "hunting", it really isn't related and is kind of a "pointless" side-topic away from the original conversation.
 
Last edited:
Nope not chided.. But the topic that we went on is a bit controversial, and we could go in circles till we are all blue in the face, which isnt something that i would like to do. People have their views, i have mine. Ok not a big deal. I would just like to stay on the hunting vrs vet school topic, the reason i started the thread. No need to be rude for me wanting to get back to the point. Thanks.
I wasn't being rude, it was a joke, which should have been clear from the tone of my post.
That said, you don't own a thread just because you started it, and plenty of people have answered your original question. Discussions on an Internet forum (and in real life too) are going to wander as people bring up various related topics. Just because something is "controversial" doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed, especially since it is something that is very relevant in vet med right now. If you only want to read the posts that are directly in response to your question and not participate in the other discussions you can very well do that. But go and look at just about any thread in the prevet forum. They tend to evolve past the original topic as long as people still have something to talk about. A side discussion isn't keeping you from getting the answers you were looking for.
 
Unneutered ferrets can smell pretty crappy, but he's honestly right that well-cared for ferrets don't smell that much. If a neutered ferret is noticeable stinky in a clinic, I do wonder what the living conditions are like at home. Although I don't think the diet matters as much as giving them adequate space and clean bedding, constantly empty the litter boxes, etc. Ferrets get a bad rep because people keep them in those ridiculously tiny hamster/guinea pig homes, don't clean their boxes, etc - no crap they smell bad! Keep a dog in their crate 24/7 with a corner litter box and they'd smell horrible too! Grr.

And the anal sacs being removed honestly don't make a big difference in scent - one of mine is not descented, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've inadvertently scared him and he's released that lovely odor.

There's some pretty horrible ferret treats at my local pet store - we're talking big pineapple and apple chunks in a trail mix, marketed towards ferrets. 🙄
The OP basically credited his controversial diet to the reason his ferrets aren't stinky. you are right that there are other husbandry issues which cause more odor, which is my point. You can't credit your daisy-fresh ferrets to the game you feed them. Not without actually testing your claim. There are too many many variables.

Is your local petstore a chain or what? I tend to stick to Petsmart for convenience, and there ferret section has always been fine. But, like I said, the pocket pet aisle makes me shudder.
 
Ok, nobody dives into all the different areas of a particular topic when responding.
BOOM son, I just did. 😉

DVMDream said:
The OP is clearly talking about hunting for food, that is what I am discussing. I even put in the caveat prior of as long as you aren't doing any illegal hunting of protected species, you are fine.
well, their exact words were "Sooo in a way it is a sport, cause I do enjoy hunting, but I do use every bit I possibly can for food." Do mine eyes deceive me, or do I see the word 'sport' in there? One of my vet friends doesn't like the thought of hunting for sport at all. That would be an ethical issue for them, if it came up in the interview. That's my point. 🙂

I had no idea what you were specifically discussing, sorry. All I know is that at one point you should "it [hunting] isn't unethical," so I was countering that broad and ridiculous statement. Also, just because it is legal doesn't mean its ethical. I can give you examples, but you already "know about all the other crap" so maybe you aren't interested haha.

For the record, OP, I'm not attacking you at all, in case it comes off that way! I also don't mean to put words in your mouth if you don't consider yourself a sport hunter. Just trying to make the point that it is a complicated issue and if I were you, I'd have a well thought-out answer for any potential questions.
 
Last edited:
well, their exact words were "Sooo in a way it is a sport, cause I do enjoy hunting, but I do use every bit I possibly can for food." Do mine eyes deceive me, or do I see the word 'sport' in there? One of my vet friends doesn't like the thought of hunting for sport at all. That would be an ethical issue for them, if it came up in the interview. That's my point. 🙂
yes, they said it was for sport. then clarified that they used all of the animal. That kind of makes it more than just sport 🙂
 
yes, they said it was for sport. then clarified that they used all of the animal. That kind of makes it more than just sport 🙂
I personally agree! 🙂 My friend, however, would say that unless you would die without the meat you get from hunting, it's for sport and unnecessary. I don't agree with that opinion, but that is where she draws her moral line. My whole point is that there ARE potential ethical issues in hunting.
Although maybe I'm confusing ethics and morals and this is a bad example...
 
BOOM son, I just did. 😉

Yes, you did.. and I am not a "son", I am a woman... 😛

well, their exact words were "Sooo in a way it is a sport, cause I do enjoy hunting, but I do use every bit I possibly can for food." Do mine eyes deceive me, or do I see the word 'sport' in there? One of my vet friends doesn't like the thought of hunting for sport at all. That would be an ethical issue for them, if it came up in the interview. That's my point. 🙂

The thing is, while they did say "sport" they also made it clear that the hunting was for food. I can see how someone could be hunting for food and still feel it to be "sport-like", which I don't see as unethical. To me, doing it for "sport" is to show off the animal and never use it for food isn't "ethical", but I realize there can be gray areas within that, however the way the OP stated it didn't seem unethical to me.

I had no idea what you were specifically discussing, sorry. All I know is that at one point you should "it [hunting] isn't unethical," so I was countering that broad and ridiculous statement. Also, just because it is legal doesn't mean its ethical. I can give you examples, but you already "know about all the other crap" so maybe you aren't interested haha.

Yes, I meant in the context that had already been explained on here that hunting isn't unethical. I agree that it is a broad statement, I disagree that it is ridiculous. If you follow the thread, it makes sense in context with what has already been discussed. If someone came on saying they hunt bald eagles and I stated, "well hunting isn't unethical" then that would be ridiculous, but we were discussing safe, legal hunting for food of appropriate species.. in which case a response of "it isn't unethical" is broad, but perfectly fine in the context of the rest of that conversation.

And you are right.. I am really not interested. I am a 26 year old adult, that is in their third year of vet school, I am aware that there are gray areas within different topics. I am also aware that not every conversation needs to dive into those areas. I am also aware that just because something is legal does not necessarily make it ethical. However, based on what the OP has stated (which is what we are responding to) nothing he has posted comes out as unethical, nothing. That is who I am responding to and what my comments are on.


This is like the time I posted that most normal dogs are fine being home alone for 8 hours a day and holding their bladder and someone had to mention, "well what about sick dogs and these kinds of dogs and what about this".... Seriously, I get it, there are gray areas in any topic, that doesn't mean everything someone states is "ridiculous" if they don't cover every damn gray area of the given topic. There is a reason things need to be read and taken into context within the current conversation that is occurring.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand what you’re saying @DVMDream. I think we both just saw the “context” of discussion differently. I saw words like “deer farming,” “population control,” and “conservation” mentioned on the previous page, so I thought it was appropriate to speak about hunting generally and not just the OP’s particular style (whatever it might be). I’m just trying to call attention to controversies that might come up in anyone’s interview if someone brought up hunting.
 
I personally agree! 🙂 My friend, however, would say that unless you would die without the meat you get from hunting, it's for sport and unnecessary. I don't agree with that opinion, but that is where she draws her moral line. My whole point is that there ARE potential ethical issues in hunting.
Although maybe I'm confusing ethics and morals and this is a bad example...
Maybe it depends on where you grow up, but in my area, hunting season provides meat for the rest of the year for some people. Yeah, you can go to the grocery store and not hunt. Or you can hunt and not go to the store. Hunting tends to be a way of life. Most people don't go out shooting deer for fun. They do it to feed family and friends, but likely enjoy the activity.

Growing up in Florida, hunting wasn't a thing. Michigan? It's a lifestyle. Plus, Michigan is severely overpopulated with deer because we wiped out wolves (long story short), so it's more or less a conservation effort as well lol
 
Maybe it depends on where you grow up, but in my area, hunting season provides meat for the rest of the year for some people. Yeah, you can go to the grocery store and not hunt. Or you can hunt and not go to the store. Hunting tends to be a way of life. Most people don't go out shooting deer for fun. They do it to feed family and friends, but likely enjoy the activity.

Growing up in Florida, hunting wasn't a thing. Michigan? It's a lifestyle. Plus, Michigan is severely overpopulated with deer because we wiped out wolves (long story short), so it's more or less a conservation effort as well lol

There's a big option you're missing there... not getting/eating meat at all. 😛
 
yes, they said it was for sport. then clarified that they used all of the animal. That kind of makes it more than just sport 🙂
Hunting is partially a sport. In my eyes, the sport part is racks. I would pass up a smaller buck for one with a larger rack. But I eat the meat.

Some people may suggest in your accuracy is also part of the sport with the goal being a lethal shot. It's unsportsmanlike to shoot a deer for the purpose of it suffering. A clean shot results in a quick and good death.

That being said, if I see a large buck but do not have a good shot on him, I let him walk. It's frustrating to see a 12 point get away but at the same time, I would rather see him the next year with a better shot.
 
Hunting is partially a sport. In my eyes, the sport part is racks. I would pass up a smaller buck for one with a larger rack. But I eat the meat.

Some people may suggest in your accuracy is also part of the sport with the goal being a lethal shot. It's unsportsmanlike to shoot a deer for the purpose of it suffering. A clean shot results in a quick and good death.

That being said, if I see a large buck but do not have a good shot on him, I let him walk. It's frustrating to see a 12 point get away but at the same time, I would rather see him the next year with a better shot.
yeah, that's why I said more than just sport 🙂
 
Many of my classmates hunt (girls and guys). We also have a sponsered fundraiser in the Spring called "Guns n Grub." Granted it's skeet shooting, but still hunting themed. So no, vet schools don't take offense to students having interests in hunting.
 
Battle Royale mother****ers.
This probably belongs over in the confessions thread, but during my stint as a teacher in Korea, I picked up the whole Battle Royale manga series.

...and each day in class from that point forward was filled with a morbid delight.