Apr 11, 2011
Boston
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I am about half-way through my prereqs and could really use an advisor or counselor to help with selecting my remaining classes and the application process. I am a non-traditional student (31 with a BA) and do not have a school that offers this service so I am looking to pay independently for someone local. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SnowyRox

Pennwe c/o 2016
Jan 30, 2012
Status
The members of this forum are rather knowledgeable. You could ask your questions here.

(Best of all... it's free!)
Yup!

Never heard of anyone hiring a local counselor. I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out the process with some SDN help.

Oh, but when you're 90% of the way done with your pre-reqs, I recommend setting up an interview with the Tufts admissions lady if you're interested in applying there. She is lovely and extraordinarily helpful. I loved Tufts! Just not the price tag...:love:

bbeventer

Illinois 2016
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2010
Illinois
Status
Veterinarian
Everyone here is pretty great, when I had questions about planning out my remaining semesters I received amazing input.

jmo1012

SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2011
Under the Sea
Status
Veterinarian
also, dont be afraid to ask the schools you're interested in for advice! most of the admissions people are more than willing to answer questions and give advice about what makes a competitive applicant.

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2010
Neither here nor there.
Status
Non-Student
I am about half-way through my prereqs and could really use an advisor or counselor to help with selecting my remaining classes and the application process. I am a non-traditional student (31 with a BA) and do not have a school that offers this service so I am looking to pay independently for someone local. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I'll take money.

OH Bunny Girl

Ohio State 2016
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2011
O-H!
Status
Veterinary Student
I had a pre-health counselor at my undergrad univ, and I think the responses from SDN are WAY more helpful and real. My pre-health adviser know very very little about vet med so I think she sugar-coated a lot. I learned the most from SDN and from the individual school's websites. The AVMA website is also helpful.

CanHardlyWait

VMRCVM c/o 2016
Mar 8, 2012
from the sea to the mountains
Status
Veterinary Student
I had a pre-health counselor at my undergrad univ, and I think the responses from SDN are WAY more helpful and real. My pre-health adviser know very very little about vet med so I think she sugar-coated a lot. I learned the most from SDN and from the individual school's websites. The AVMA website is also helpful.
Oh yeah, SDN is WAY more helpful than the pre health counselor at my undergrad school. Mine had no idea about vet school admissions. I knew more about the closest school's requirements than she did. Also, once I went to her to ask her about my back up plan-going to school to be a Naturopathic Doctor. She really didn't know what that was and spent the whole time trying convince me to take the MCAT and apply to DO school.

OP
B
Apr 11, 2011
Boston
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Thanks for all the advice and I guess I will start asking here. I still need to take organic chemistry and anatomy/physiology and am wondering if someone has any suggestions for good options in the Boston area.

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, unless you're at an undergrad that has a vet school attached to it, it's pretty rare to find pre-health advisors who know much about vet med admissions beyond "few schools, few spots, get good grades." I was basically told that I had no chance unless I got straight A's for my last 2 years of undergrad because I had a pretty bad GPA already from my first degree, and that I shouldn't waste time trying to get experiences and should just worry about grades. I didn't get straight A's, and I got an interview the first time I applied anyway (I didn't get in, but they wouldn't have interviewed me if my grades were the biggest problem). Got in the second time with having done very little to improve my GPA (did a thesis-based Masters and even got an A- in one of the classes :laugh:).

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Thanks for all the advice and I guess I will start asking here. I still need to take organic chemistry and anatomy/physiology and am wondering if someone has any suggestions for good options in the Boston area.
You can post-Bach at any of the schools in the area, but I've heard that Harvard extension is a great option (money and schedule wise) for working nontrads.

May 1, 2012
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Yeah, the pre-health advisor at my college isn't really helpful either. It's kind of annoying. But, I kind of like researching the criteria on my own. Plus, going on here. :)
Also, if you can visit the vet schools you want to apply to and ask questions there, it can be really helpful!

TigerWillow

UC Davis Class of 2016!!!
Apr 14, 2011
Davis
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Yeah, unless you're at an undergrad that has a vet school attached to it, it's pretty rare to find pre-health advisors who know much about vet med admissions beyond "few schools, few spots, get good grades." I was basically told that I had no chance unless I got straight A's for my last 2 years of undergrad because I had a pretty bad GPA already from my first degree, and that I shouldn't waste time trying to get experiences and should just worry about grades. I didn't get straight A's, and I got an interview the first time I applied anyway (I didn't get in, but they wouldn't have interviewed me if my grades were the biggest problem). Got in the second time with having done very little to improve my GPA (did a thesis-based Masters and even got an A- in one of the classes :laugh:).
Had to laugh at this.

But she's right. My pre health advisors were pretty useless, even when I was premed. I was able to figure out everything myself. It was quite funny when my mom kept nagging me "do you know what the heck you're doing?" and have her change to "see? You did that all on your own!"

But this place was like a gold mine for me!

OP
B
Apr 11, 2011
Boston
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Had to laugh at this.

But she's right. My pre health advisors were pretty useless, even when I was premed. I was able to figure out everything myself. It was quite funny when my mom kept nagging me "do you know what the heck you're doing?" and have her change to "see? You did that all on your own!"

But this place was like a gold mine for me!
Wow, thank for the advice. I am new to this but feel right at home; my parents both frequently wonder what I doing...

Congrats on Davis!!

SnowyRox

Pennwe c/o 2016
Jan 30, 2012
Status
Yeah, my pre-health advisor was pretty useless...He told me I wasn't smart enough to handle more than one science course per semester :rolleyes: :roflcopter: He also told me that vet school was impossible to get into and I should switch to human med. :annoyed: I'm really glad I didn't listen to him. After that fun experience, I found SDN and the information here has been invaluable. I learned so much about applying from this forum. :biglove:
Mine was the exact same way :laugh::thumbdown:laugh:

I went into his office after first semester bursting with pride with my 4.0 gpa and double science classes (he strongly recommended only one at a time).... and he told me that I was too stupid for Penn and should just focus on getting into the Caribbean.

So I ditched him for my favorite Chem prof! Useless with helping me figure out vet school stuff, but really really nice to talk to about getting my life on track.

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
Wow. You guys had some pretty brutal pre-health professors. Although, mine did ask me what my back up plan was, but at least he didn't outright say I was too stupid for vet school. He just told me I should have applied right away in June because he thought it was rolling admission like med school. I only really used my pre-health advisor to read over my PS because he's really good at cutting out any BS/unnecessary bits. Even some of the professors have him read over their LOR.

equineconstant

Purple & Gold 2017
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2012
Louisiana
Status
Veterinary Student
Wow. You guys had some pretty brutal pre-health professors. Although, mine did ask me what my back up plan was, but at least he didn't outright say I was too stupid for vet school. He just told me I should have applied right away in June because he thought it was rolling admission like med school.
Mine too! :laugh: