Pre-vet Internship Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021ProspectiveDVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I am a junior undergrad. I'm a Biology major with Chemistry minor (like almost everyone else) and I was hoping to do my senior capstone by interning abroad. I was thinking about doing something that would go towards vet experience hours but also be like a mission trip. It could be really anything with veterinary medicine that involves helping others while experiencing a new culture. I've heard of veterinarians going to other countries and teaching the people there how to keep their livestock healthy with limited supplies and so forth. Also, I've heard of people going and doing massive spays and neuters. I'm not sure what else is out there though. Please give me any input or ideas!
Thank you all so much!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might want to tone down the use of words like "third world" and "natives" when discussing international service projects.

There are multiple organizations that do veterinary service projects abroad. If you only have a semester or less to do it, try to find something pre-arranged where you show up, do your work, and leave. As for actually interning, like working abroad, you'll be far more limited in your prospects and you'll have to think about things well in advance in the likelihood that you'll need a special visa. Asking various faculty members about their or their colleagues' research is another way to get to work on projects abroad.

Reactions: 1 users
You might want to tone down the use of words like "third world" and "natives" when discussing international service projects.

There are multiple organizations that do veterinary service projects abroad. If you only have a semester or less to do it, try to find something pre-arranged where you show up, do your work, and leave. As for actually interning, like working abroad, you'll be far more limited in your prospects and you'll have to think about things well in advance in the likelihood that you'll need a special visa. Asking various faculty members about their or their colleagues' research is another way to get to work on projects abroad.
Better? Also, it's just a 10 week or so "internship" that I need and I use the term internship loosely. When I say internship, I just mean more or less helping out a veterinarian. I have had friends go aboard for things similar to this so I know the process. I've found a ton of them but I was just going to see what other people suggested. Thanks for the input though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i will also go for practicing and internship in abroad, later......

Check out Loop Abroad. I did it last summer and im planning on doing their semester program next year. Highly recommend it! I liked it because you not only follow a vet around but the vets actually sit down with you and teach you skills like skin scrapes, injections, IV catheter placement. Its expensive but worth every penny.