Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I have so many questions. I'm in my sophomore year at a small county university. I'm trying to switch to University of Miami though because no pre-vet students from my school have ever been accepted into vet school and well it makes me think it might be the school. Currently I have a 4.0 and I'm taking courses as challenging as this school offers (i.e. the honors calc I with analytical geo was cancelled as I was the only one to enroll).
I've been having a prob finding a vet willing to let me shadow them. I actually know a vet really well who told me that shadowing is a problem because of insurance. And I don't have the hours available to me to work part-time in a vet's office or the experience to. I'm in school full time of course and I work full time for a psychiatrist's clinical research office doing clinical phase 3 and 4 studies with humans. I've been with them for the past 5 years. Leaving this job to go work for a vet if I could find one to hire me without vet tech experience would be very hard on me financially. I have the weekends completely free to me and have been looking for some volunteer experience with a vet but can't find any for the aforementioned reasons.
How do I get around this problem? I have volunteer experience already with rescuing animals and fostering and finding homes, etc. But as far as actual vet experience I'm stumped and something tells me I need to start working on it as soon as possible. I'm about halfway through my sophomore year.
Does anyone have any tips or ideas of where to go to find experience other than animal rescue experience?
I can't find any vets willing to even hire me for just working on the weekends as most of them are closed on sundays.
I was hoping once I switched to UoM and could actually join a pre-vet program/club (as my current school doesn't have one) that I would find more opp's through the program/club.
Thanks
Alis
I've been having a prob finding a vet willing to let me shadow them. I actually know a vet really well who told me that shadowing is a problem because of insurance. And I don't have the hours available to me to work part-time in a vet's office or the experience to. I'm in school full time of course and I work full time for a psychiatrist's clinical research office doing clinical phase 3 and 4 studies with humans. I've been with them for the past 5 years. Leaving this job to go work for a vet if I could find one to hire me without vet tech experience would be very hard on me financially. I have the weekends completely free to me and have been looking for some volunteer experience with a vet but can't find any for the aforementioned reasons.
How do I get around this problem? I have volunteer experience already with rescuing animals and fostering and finding homes, etc. But as far as actual vet experience I'm stumped and something tells me I need to start working on it as soon as possible. I'm about halfway through my sophomore year.
Does anyone have any tips or ideas of where to go to find experience other than animal rescue experience?
I can't find any vets willing to even hire me for just working on the weekends as most of them are closed on sundays.
I was hoping once I switched to UoM and could actually join a pre-vet program/club (as my current school doesn't have one) that I would find more opp's through the program/club.
Thanks
Alis