Pre-vet/ vet student blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreyhoundLove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a current student at Midwestern University and I've begun a blog about
Vet student life. There will be pre-vet advice and information, as well as posts about vet school life. If you are interested, here's the URL:
http://venturesinvetschool.blogspot.com/?m=0

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I was recently invited by MWU for an interview! I am excited not only to check out the campus but also the state of Arizona! I have been trying to gain as much info as I can about this school but I feel like I haven't found enough. Can you please tell me what your experience is like at MWU? Do you hate it do you love it? What are the biggest attractions there? Are they working on a state-of-the-art/LA center? etc :)

Midwestern is great! We have a quarter system, so we aren't switching between 12 different classes a semester. As a first year, we are mainly in lectures but we have an anatomy lab
And a class called practice of vet Ned in which we work on clinical skills. We just started practicing canine physical exams so we are actually working with live animals. The large animal facilities are coming along and we have horses and cows on site. I am probably not the best person to ask about attractions because I spend my free time studying. The students that do find time to go out have been enjoying food truck festivals, and the cardinals stadium is about 20 minutes from the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Midwestern is great! We have a quarter system, so we aren't switching between 12 different classes a semester. As a first year, we are mainly in lectures but we have an anatomy lab
And a class called practice of vet Ned in which we work on clinical skills. We just started practicing canine physical exams so we are actually working with live animals. The large animal facilities are coming along and we have horses and cows on site. I am probably not the best person to ask about attractions because I spend my free time studying. The students that do find time to go out have been enjoying food truck festivals, and the cardinals stadium is about 20 minutes from the school.

Perfect! How are the professors there? Are they focused on student learning? Are there chances to get to know your professors better and seek extra help whenever needed? Does the environment at MWU feel like a true community of members who seek to help eachother?

I love the pictures! I'm a huge fan of problem-based, hands on learning.

Reactions: 1 user
This is awesome! Just got accepted to Midwestern and really excited about possibly attending next fall! :)

Last edited:
thanks for this valuable websites, i want lots of knowledge as i started

Last edited:
This is awesome! Just got accepted to Midwestern and really excited about possibly attending next fall! :)

That's awesome!!!!! When was your interview? How long after your interview did they send you your acceptance notification?

That's awesome!!!!! When was your interview? How long after your interview did they send you your acceptance notification?

Thank you! My interview was on Septemeber 2nd, and they called me on September 15th to tell me I was accepted.

Congrats!!!!!!!

The professors are outstanding. They are adamant about their open door policy, so you can go to them almost any time and they are willing and eager to help you. Our physiology professor will literally draw out detailed pictures to walk you through his lectures, and the anatomy professors will show you tons of pictures to help you prepare. They allow us in the anatomy lab any time from 6am to 10pm to study so you can go and look at your dissections and study. In addition, the second year students have been hosting review sessions for our exams and preparing us for how each exam is laid out. Everyone is so incredibly helpful and excited to be a part of the program.

That's awesome!! It's amazing that the students are helping so much!

Wow! That is the kind of school I am looking for! I need to make sure I do well on interview day! I would love to be accepted there!

Can any current students give an idea on why they chose Midwestern over other schools? I am currently torn about which school to choose, making a decision between Midwestern and Ross. I would like to make a decision soon, so any information could help!

I'm glad this was bumped! I love reading blogs that pertain to me.

Can any current students give an idea on why they chose Midwestern over other schools? I am currently torn about which school to choose, making a decision between Midwestern and Ross. I would like to make a decision soon, so any information could help!

Our second years are already performing spay and neuter surgeries! I'm a first year, and I've gotten to shadow them, and I can tell you, it is amazing to see. The students run their own surgeries in teams. Of course faculty is there to help, but for the most part, these guys are running the show. They come in before classes to check on patients, and stay late after classes to check on patients.

As first years, we were given the opportunity to volunteer with the mobile clinic as well for spay and neuters. Most of us were even allowed to do a supervised neuter during our service, which is unheard of!

The professors are ridiculously helpful. They have an open door policy, so you can go see them almost any time, without worrying about whether it is office hours or not.

My best friend's brother goes to Ross and he likes it, but the cost of living is much higher. Also, they don't do surgery until third year (technically third year, but they do not have summer breaks so it is a little more than three years before surgery), so he did his first neuter actually at the same time we did ours as first years on the mobile clinic. My friend goes to Minnesota and she just did her first surgery as well, and is finishing her third year as well.

The only thing that is hard for me is being away from home. If I had gotten into my IS, I would have gone there regardless, because I love my home. But I am happy I have the opportunity to learn here at MWU.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Our second years are already performing spay and neuter surgeries! I'm a first year, and I've gotten to shadow them, and I can tell you, it is amazing to see. The students run their own surgeries in teams. Of course faculty is there to help, but for the most part, these guys are running the show. They come in before classes to check on patients, and stay late after classes to check on patients.

As first years, we were given the opportunity to volunteer with the mobile clinic as well for spay and neuters. Most of us were even allowed to do a supervised neuter during our service, which is unheard of!

The professors are ridiculously helpful. They have an open door policy, so you can go see them almost any time, without worrying about whether it is office hours or not.

My best friend's brother goes to Ross and he likes it, but the cost of living is much higher. Also, they don't do surgery until third year (technically third year, but they do not have summer breaks so it is a little more than three years before surgery), so he did his first neuter actually at the same time we did ours as first years on the mobile clinic. My friend goes to Minnesota and she just did her first surgery as well, and is finishing her third year as well.

The only thing that is hard for me is being away from home. If I had gotten into my IS, I would have gone there regardless, because I love my home. But I am happy I have the opportunity to learn here at MWU.

Definitely not unheard of. I have plenty of classmates who performed supervised spays and neuters first year through SIRVS and Vida trips. I did some of the same during second year (mostly because I didn't realize the opportunities were there first year). Yes technically the first live in class surgeries at MN are during 3rd year (now, they used to be 2nd year) but there are ways to get experience before that.

Reactions: 1 users

Unheard of, how? I was doing neuters and scrubbing in on spays when I was a first year.

Definitely not unheard of. I have plenty of classmates who performed supervised spays and neuters first year through SIRVS and Vida trips. I did some of the same during second year (mostly because I didn't realize the opportunities were there first year). Yes technically the first live in class surgeries at MN are during 3rd year (now, they used to be 2nd year) but there are ways to get experience before that.

I should have clarified, that I was referring to Ross when I said it was unheard of, sorry about that!

I'm glad this was bumped! I love reading blogs that pertain to me.

More students need to write about their experiences. Especially with so much going on emotionally and mentally, it is a really good outlet for letting out frustrations as well as celebrating all of the little milestones you come across on this journey!

Hey guys! If y'all wouldn't mind checking out my blog (http://journeytodvm.com), I'd love some feedback and/or suggestions for content. I'm going to be writing more about my experience as a vet tech working at a local pet hospital in Columbia, MO (my full-time job this summer), but then I'll pick back up on school-y stuff in the fall. I'll be a second year student this next year at the University of Missouri :)