Pre-vet with aspergers disorder

Started by Tortaspie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tortaspie

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my first time posting anything. I am a 23 year old female with aspergers (which is a very mild form of autism) and I have about a year left before I graduate with a degree in medical lab science. Based on what people have told me, no one seems to know there is anything different about me. I am determined to become a vet no matter what. My GPA currently is 2.7ish ( I know bad), but that's just because I took a unnecessary class a long time ago and ended up doing bad which dropped my gpa. I hated the class but I'm considering retaking it at some point (the class is ecology).

I have hundreds of hours of experience at a zoo that I have worked at multiple times. I really love reptiles and exotic animals and want to be a reptile/exotic vet. I have 2 tortoises and have had lots of different pets over the years. I am currently involved in undergraduate research where I study giardiasis in beavers. I know I need veterinary experience but no vet clinics ever seem to be hiring and they never seem to want volunteers. I did shadow at a small animal/horse clinic for 2 weeks.

I plan on studying the entire summer for the GRE because I want to get a really high score. This summer I am also going to try really hard to get a job in a vet clinic so I can get that experience.

I just want some input on how to improve myself. I know my GPA sucks compared to a lot of people but I will try to improve it as much as I can. If I have to apply a hundred times, I will.
 
This is my first time posting anything. I am a 23 year old female with aspergers (which is a very mild form of autism) and I have about a year left before I graduate with a degree in medical lab science. Based on what people have told me, no one seems to know there is anything different about me. I am determined to become a vet no matter what. My GPA currently is 2.7ish ( I know bad), but that's just because I took a unnecessary class a long time ago and ended up doing bad which dropped my gpa. I hated the class but I'm considering retaking it at some point (the class is ecology).

I have hundreds of hours of experience at a zoo that I have worked at multiple times. I really love reptiles and exotic animals and want to be a reptile/exotic vet. I have 2 tortoises and have had lots of different pets over the years. I am currently involved in undergraduate research where I study giardiasis in beavers. I know I need veterinary experience but no vet clinics ever seem to be hiring and they never seem to want volunteers. I did shadow at a small animal/horse clinic for 2 weeks.

I plan on studying the entire summer for the GRE because I want to get a really high score. This summer I am also going to try really hard to get a job in a vet clinic so I can get that experience.

I just want some input on how to improve myself. I know my GPA sucks compared to a lot of people but I will try to improve it as much as I can. If I have to apply a hundred times, I will.
There is a "What are my chances?" thread that is dedicated to advice for you!

My thoughts:
1. It is unrealistic to say you will apply "100 times." If you can secure funding, go for it, I guess. However, it is always wise to have that dreaded plan B.
2. Regarding Asperger's: Are you that concerned that it will hold you back? You mentioned it in the title of your post, but didn't talk much about it otherwise. I understand the difficulties one with Asperger's faces, as my sister deals with it as well. What are your biggest challenges? Some have a distinct lack of empathy, severe difficulties communicating with others, etc. If people don't even realize you have Asperger's, why worry? To me, it sounds like you are doing quite well.
3. Your GPA is definitely on the low end, but there are lots of people on here that have gotten in with similar GPAs. You made it sound like only one class is to blame for your GPA, but seeing as how you only have one year left, there have to be other classes that have pulled your GPA down, too. I'd consider retaking the classes you did poorly in, especially veterinary school pre-reqs!
4. The GRE can definitely boost your application, but it won't exactly 'replace' a lower GPA. While it is important to do well on the GRE, I think you should put a lot of effort into improving your GPA.
5. Experience: 500 hours seems to be the unspoken minimum for most schools, and 1000+ seems to make a competitive applicant. It's awesome that you have equine experience already, keep that up if you can. Schools like to see lots of hours total, but a variety of experiences as well. Keep up with the small animal and equine, and try to add in others such as wildlife, food animal, etc. Research experience is awesome, too!
 
Couple thoughts. Most of which reinforce what pinkpuppy said....

First, dealing with a disability (if that's the appropriate term; I don't really know) is very doable. But what will impress an admission's committee is if you can verbalize how you have been challenged by it, how you've managed that challenge, how you foresee it impacting you in ways other students and vets would not be impacted, and how you intend to adapt/manage that impact. Whether that's in your personal statement or your interview isn't really relevant - but if you can show them that you've given it serious consideration and have a plan it will go a very long ways toward mitigating concerns.

A 'red flag' for me is the 2.7 with the explanation that it was one "unnecessary class". You're expected to do well regardless of whether you think a class is necessary, and they aren't going to want to hear the attitude that it doesn't matter because you view it as unnecessary (I doubt that is how you intended it to sound, but that's the implication of the way you said it). Additionally, one class shouldn't drop you that low. You really want a 3.1 or so to give you a reasonable chance. I mean, people get in with less - no doubt - but you're starting to push yourself to the edge of the curve when you're less than 3.1, yanno? You're going to need to address that issue somehow.

You need more varied experience, probably. If your goal is firmly exotics, then you may be able to avoid a lot of other experience, because the experience you have 'supports' your claim. But in general, you're going to want to hunt more for other experience. More than just a couple weeks.

G'luck!!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess when I first started college and was taking generals I didn't take them as seriously as I should have, which also contributed to my low gpa. I have had a lot of hard science classes that I have gotten A's in.

As for the aspergers I am not worried at all that it will hold me back but I do sometimes feel that I come off as a little "awkward". However, people I have told that I have aspergers have always said that they had no idea. Even with aspergers I feel that I can give a much better speech than a lot of people.

I plan on getting more experience this summer which should hopefully put me in the 1000 hour range.
 
I guess when I first started college and was taking generals I didn't take them as seriously as I should have, which also contributed to my low gpa. I have had a lot of hard science classes that I have gotten A's in.

As for the aspergers I am not worried at all that it will hold me back but I do sometimes feel that I come off as a little "awkward". However, people I have told that I have aspergers have always said that they had no idea. Even with aspergers I feel that I can give a much better speech than a lot of people.

I plan on getting more experience this summer which should hopefully put me in the 1000 hour range.
A lot of us are awkward. Trust me. 😛

There are a lot of people who are diagnosed with Asperger's, and to me, the degree of severity can be so drastically different between two individuals that it kind of distorts exactly what 'having Asperger's' means. If you aren't worried about it holding you back, I see no reason to even address it. If, and only if, it has truly affected you/your school work, you then have a reason to address it in your personal statement/interview like LIS suggested. If it doesn't interfere with your daily life (and it seems like it doesn't based on what you've said), you might have a hard time trying to discuss how you are overcoming a challenge that doesn't actually challenge you. Just my two cents.

Since it seems like your early college years are your issue, research the school you want to attend. Look for schools that do not consider cumulative GPA (only pre-req and last 45 GPAs considered) or that offer you to petition to delete your first year of courses. Be careful with that latter option-I know of someone who took that option and didn't realize they also deleted her general chemistry sequence that she took her first year. Instant rejection for a silly mistake.
 
There are a lot of people who are diagnosed with Asperger's, and to me, the degree of severity can be so drastically different between two individuals that it kind of distorts exactly what 'having Asperger's' means.

That variation is one reason Asperger's has been collapsed into "Autism Spectrum Disorder" in the latest DSM.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
A lot of us are awkward. Trust me. 😛

There are a lot of people who are diagnosed with Asperger's, and to me, the degree of severity can be so drastically different between two individuals that it kind of distorts exactly what 'having Asperger's' means. If you aren't worried about it holding you back, I see no reason to even address it. If, and only if, it has truly affected you/your school work, you then have a reason to address it in your personal statement/interview like LIS suggested. If it doesn't interfere with your daily life (and it seems like it doesn't based on what you've said), you might have a hard time trying to discuss how you are overcoming a challenge that doesn't actually challenge you. Just my two cents.

Since it seems like your early college years are your issue, research the school you want to attend. Look for schools that do not consider cumulative GPA (only pre-req and last 45 GPAs considered) or that offer you to petition to delete your first year of courses. Be careful with that latter option-I know of someone who took that option and didn't realize they also deleted her general chemistry sequence that she took her first year. Instant rejection for a silly mistake.
You're right. There is no reason to address it. There are a lot of people who are greatly affected by aspergers and others who aren't. I used to be greatly affected by it when I was younger, but not anymore.
 
Why are you discounting unpaid vet experience? I would take the volunteer shadowing positions... you can learn a LOT by just volunteering, instead of being forced to be productive during a shift for the clinic in other ways, if you know what I mean.
🙂
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
You're right. There is no reason to address it. There are a lot of people who are greatly affected by aspergers and others who aren't. I used to be greatly affected by it when I was younger, but not anymore.
I hope none of that came off as discounting any difficulty you've faced. I just get irked when people reach for 'challenges and difficulties' in hopes that they'll get bonus points on their application. I'm not saying that you fit that bill at all, but if you aren't really suffering from something, I see no need to make it seem like you are.

I knew a girl once who used her explanation statement to essentially blame her bad grades on the death of her grandfather. That's fine, death is no easy thing. However, her grandfather died when she was like 6 (she had me proofread for her). Sure, traumatic experiences like that can certainly have lasting effects on a person. It was just painfully obvious what she was trying to do.
 
Why are you discounting unpaid vet experience? I would take the volunteer shadowing positions... you can learn a LOT by just volunteering, instead of being forced to be productive during a shift for the clinic in other ways, if you know what I mean.
🙂
I don't think the OP was, she said that clinics never seem to want volunteers. Maybe asking if you could shadow rather than volunteer would make a difference? Asking if you could volunteer might turn some places off because then they have to struggle to find something for you to do, yet not something where you would be a liability or be taking work away from the paid employees. Whereas with shadowing you can just watch and learn. 🙂 (Although some clinics will let you do some hands-on things even if you're just shadowing! Especially if you show initiative/interest.) But I understand that a paid job is often preferable for obvious reasons.
 
You have a lot of work ahead of you in your application, but with dedication and patience, it isn't impossible.

First, your grades. You need to bring your GPA up somehow, or have a strong last 45 credit GPA. Then, apply strategically to schools that favor strong last-45s or strong science grades. Remember that you need at least a C- at most schools for a pre-req to be considered valid. This may mean you need to retake some classes.

Second, experience. Animal experience is great, but it is not equivalent to veterinary experience and as you mentioned, you need that vet experience. It's worth a lot more and no bulk of animal experience will make up for weak vet experience. So find a way to get those hours in, even if it means going door to door (or phone to phone) to find someone to take you on. Many applicants have thousands of hours, and you should aim to get as much as possible.

Third, Aspergers. It might mean that you have to work harder to prepare for an interview, but it can be done. Start practicing early!

Good luck :luck:
 
This is my first time posting anything. I am a 23 year old female with aspergers (which is a very mild form of autism) and I have about a year left before I graduate with a degree in medical lab science. Based on what people have told me, no one seems to know there is anything different about me. I am determined to become a vet no matter what. My GPA currently is 2.7ish ( I know bad), but that's just because I took a unnecessary class a long time ago and ended up doing bad which dropped my gpa. I hated the class but I'm considering retaking it at some point (the class is ecology).

I have hundreds of hours of experience at a zoo that I have worked at multiple times. I really love reptiles and exotic animals and want to be a reptile/exotic vet. I have 2 tortoises and have had lots of different pets over the years. I am currently involved in undergraduate research where I study giardiasis in beavers. I know I need veterinary experience but no vet clinics ever seem to be hiring and they never seem to want volunteers. I did shadow at a small animal/horse clinic for 2 weeks.

I plan on studying the entire summer for the GRE because I want to get a really high score. This summer I am also going to try really hard to get a job in a vet clinic so I can get that experience.

I just want some input on how to improve myself. I know my GPA sucks compared to a lot of people but I will try to improve it as much as I can. If I have to apply a hundred times, I will.

I think that first of all you definitely need to get experience working in a vet clinic. Many people who love animals and think that they want to do veterinary medicine find out that they really don't like the profession once they get in to the clinical environment. That's not to say that you won't like it or that all veterinarians end up working in private practice or even clinical medicine for that matter, but it will be a huge part of your schooling and you will need the experience to get accepted. Make sure you look up emergency vets/referral centers in your area in addition to small practices. Larger places often have higher turnover rates for vet assistants and employ more people in general. Plus they expose you to many different facets of the clinical setting.

As far as the GPA goes, a 2.7 is not very competitive and you will need to demonstrate an upward trend in grades. Having a high science GPA is very good though! VMCAS will calculate all of your GPAS (science, pre-req, years 1-4 etc) separately so that it will highlight where your strengths are and how you have improved over time. If your grades improved as you progressed in school then the admissions committee will definitely take note of that. The GRE doesn't hold as much weight as the GPA but it definitely can supplement a low GPA to some degree.

In regards to your Aspergers, it is very important that you disclose it in the explanation statement of your application. Despite what people might say about things like Aspergers and ADHD/ADD, they are legitimate disorders which put those who live with them at a disadvantage in academic and professional settings. Schools will not discriminate against you in the admissions process simply for having one because it is in fact illegal for them to do so. But if they don't know that you have Aspergers then won't be able to see that your circumstances are different than most. Having Aspergers may have even affected you and your academic performance in ways that you haven't realized. Maybe it has something to do with why you received low grades in your gen-eds but high grades in your sciences. A lot of people on the spectrum have an affinity for math and science but don't do as well in the humanities. It is also important to discuss it in your application because due to the nature of Aspergers, you may not be able to perform as well in an interview as someone without it. If the admissions committee knows this prior to interviews they will be able to accommodate you accordingly.

I don't have Aspergers but I do have ADD. I would work just as hard if not harder than my peers in the same classes and still struggle to get good grades. I disclosed it on my application but I didn't use it as an excuse for poor grades. I simply wanted to convey that I had more obstacles to overcome than the average applicant. Most higher education curriculums are not designed for people with things like ADD or Aspergers. That doesn't mean that we are unable to achieve our dreams, it just means that we have to approach things differently. Even if you don't feel that having Aspergers has put you personally at a disadvantage academically (and maybe it hasn't) it is a part of your life and the admissions committees should know that. I finished undergrad with a 2.9 GPA which is pretty dismal but i still got accepted on my first try 🙂

Hope that helps! Sorry to ramble lol! Good luck!
 
You're right. There is no reason to address it. There are a lot of people who are greatly affected by aspergers and others who aren't. I used to be greatly affected by it when I was younger, but not anymore.

I guess I find it odd that you titled the thread "pre vet with aspergers disorder" and then mentioned it in your initial post ..... if you really don't think it might be a factor. If you don't think it's a factor, why did you bring it up?

All of which is to say that I agree with TRH. Prepare ahead of time. Do a few practice interviews and get feedback on how well you presented yourself and what you should do differently.

Morpheus asserted that schools can't discriminate against you because of it and, in a strictly legal sense, that's true. But what's true legally sometimes gets really fuzzy when it comes to how it plays out in the real world. The fact remains that schools (at least the ones that do interviews) will be partly assessing you based on how well you present yourself and interact. So it very much could play a role. I do agree with Morpheus that you are probably better off mentioning it in your application so that they can properly assess you.
 
get feedback on how well you presented yourself and what you should do differently.

Agreed. Don't frame it in the context of "Do I seem like I have Aspergers?" or any variant on that theme; focus on how you presented yourself in a professional context. Very few people (if any) will outright say, "Yeah, I totally thought you had Aspergers or something - glad you confirmed it for me!" so asking about that directly will likely yield unhelpful results.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad