Pre-Vet wth Poor GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theveganabolitionist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so. I have a BA in Philosophy, graduated in 2013. I actively avoided science/math courses (I was originally pre-law), and I was also an abuse survivor with Bipolar. Needless to say, my GPA was pretty bad. I took two F's the final semester because I just bounced, and my final GPA was like 2.5.

Between then and now, I've started and dropped out of a few vet tech programs.

My plan is to basically redo my undergrad. I'm gonna do at least the three years of pre-reqs to get into vet school, maybe even the full four-year degree in biology or similar. I'm smart, when my mental health is managed. If I can pull of really good grades for a second degree, do I have a snowball's chance in h-e-l-l of getting into a dvm program? I've also been working for a vet for 2.5 years and I love it. My preference is to go to OSU, but will go wherever I can get in.

Please be brutally honest.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so. I have a BA in Philosophy, graduated in 2013. I actively avoided science/math courses (I was originally pre-law), and I was also an abuse survivor with Bipolar. Needless to say, my GPA was pretty bad. I took two F's the final semester because I just bounced, and my final GPA was like 2.5.

Between then and now, I've started and dropped out of a few vet tech programs.

My plan is to basically redo my undergrad. I'm gonna do at least the three years of pre-reqs to get into vet school, maybe even the full four-year degree in biology or similar. I'm smart, when my mental health is managed. If I can pull of really good grades for a second degree, do I have a snowball's chance in h-e-l-l of getting into a dvm program? I've also been working for a vet for 2.5 years and I love it. My preference is to go to OSU, but will go wherever I can get in.

Please be brutally honest.
You have some issues for sure. Vet Med is full of problems that enhance mental health issues. If I were an admin, I would be a bit fearful of your past simply because it will be tested to the max with this profession. That you have started but not completed multiple tech programs is worrisome as going the full veterinarian path is much more trying. If you are solidly behind trying for this, you must maintain your mental health and get the schooling that solidly shows your capabilities.

You also need to understand that undergrad is generally considered much less of a challenge than vet school in most instances. It can get incredibly intense for some people, so for your own health, you must make sure you can handle it. If you can take on an 18 hour course load of science courses and can maintain a healthy mind set, you will have a better idea of if this is a path you can continue.

While many people say that being a good student does not make a good vet, you still have to get through the schooling and also maintain your mental health in times of struggle after school is done. Finding a forum such as this and hopefully friends and family that support you will be key. Understanding yourself and your limits is going to be nonnegotiable and you have to be honest with yourself throughout the process to evaluate where you are.

Animals offer an understanding that humans do not for a lot of us and that is why we choose this path, but you cannot expect them to heal you when you have to be the one that has to be strong for them. This not only includes understanding the treatment of their disease, but in dealing with the humans that are in charge of telling you what you can and cannot do for said animals.

Brutally honest?

Ok, here we go.

You've seemed to have proven multiple times that you aren't good at holding your **** together yet. And not just the grades, but also starting and dropping various programs. As someone who also fought through a ton of bull during school, I understand - but don't use it as an excuse. An explanation, yes. Life may hand you a crappy deck, but that's how it is. You need to proactively manage these things as best you can. I don't say that without sympathy, but I'm being honest as you asked.

You don't seem to have a concrete plan for how to improve this - all you seem to be saying is that you will try again. It will be just the same as the last time - wishing you will succeed does not equal succeeding. What specifically are you going to do this time to ensure this doesn't repeat?

You also do not seem to have any variety in your veterinary experiences, so 1) You have worked at one place for 2-3 years doing mostly managerial stuff with minor assistant duties? Can you really say this one experience is enough to make you fully understand the field? 2) you have no experience with heavy science coursework or even science as a discipline - medicine is essentially applied science, and you need to be able not only to succeed academically there but LIKE that type of subject matter. This is a big consideration.

And lastly, your username also gives me huge pause.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users