WAMC Low GPA applicant

Started by Jairo223
Tags Tags
wamc pre-vet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jairo223

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am applying this cycle and was hoping to get some feedback on my chances and school list.

GPA Information
  • Cumulative GPA: 2.9
  • Science GPA: 2.6
  • Last 45 Credit Hours GPA: 2.9
I know my GPA is on the lower side, but still want to give it a shot.

Experience Hours
  • Veterinary Experience: 1,587 hours
  • Animal Experience (non-veterinary): 1,627 hours
  • Employment: 11,700 hours
  • Volunteer Experience: 741 hours
Schools I’m Planning to Apply To
  • Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
  • St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine (SGU)
  • Lincoln Memorial Orange Park (LMU-OPCVM)
  • Washington State (WICHIE)
I recently contacted LMU admissions and was told that I could apply.

I also had a question about Ross. Given my GPA, would taking the Casper help strengthen my application, or is it unlikely to make a significant difference?

Any feedback on my chances, school list, or ways to improve my application would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
 
Last edited:
I was a previous low GPA applicant so I have some experience and advice. However, I have seen your posts on the reddit and Low GPA FB so I'm not sure how much more I can provide given you have received input and guidance from others.

WSU looks at all 4 GPAs: cGPA, sGPA, last 45 GPA and pre-req GPA. What is your pre-req GPA for WSU? While yes, they do have holistic admissions, that 2.6 science will further hurt you.

SGU has become more difficult for low GPA applicants to receive admittance in the last few years, with some not even receiving an interview, but it would be one of the options to give you a better chance at getting in.

LMU-OPCVM has a whole thread of information on what is happening with the school, but in regard to GPA this is directly from their website:

"Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (on 4.0 scale) in all pre-professional coursework. Applicants not meeting this standard (Cumulative GPA of < 3.0) who have demonstrated a commitment to academic excellence in the last two years of study (most recent 60 semester hours) may be considered on a case-by-case basis. LMU-OPCVM uses the VMCAS calculated GPAs." DVM Application Process

Given that your cGPA and last 45 are the same, I do not believe that would give you a good chance at success.

Ross is the same as SGU in the sense it has gotten more difficult to receive admittance as a low GPA applicant. On the website, it only states the GRE as optional but recommended. I didn't even know Ross accepted CASPR scores, as I never sent mine to them when I applied. Overall, I think you would give yourself a much higher chance at admittance if you had a high GPA trajectory in your last 30-45 credits but it does seem like you are set on applying. Ross and SGU may offer you Vet Prep (which is not covered by federal loans), is that something you would consider doing if they offered it to you? Or would you re-apply the following year?
This is a very difficult process especially as a low GPA applicant so I understand it doesn't feel great when people say you have a low chance (trust me, I heard it from so so many people too). It is critical to apply strategically and intentionally to give yourself the best chance possible. Best of luck!
 
Could you elaborate on your veterinary experience hours? Are they all in small animal GP, etc?

With low GPAs all around you will need outstanding and unique veterinary experience. If you don’t have this - I would hold off on applying this cycle and seek some as well as retaking courses you’ve done poorly in.

The Casper is unlikely to significantly positively impact your chances.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a previous low GPA applicant so I have some experience and advice. However, I have seen your posts on the reddit and Low GPA FB so I'm not sure how much more I can provide given you have received input and guidance from others.

WSU looks at all 4 GPAs: cGPA, sGPA, last 45 GPA and pre-req GPA. What is your pre-req GPA for WSU? While yes, they do have holistic admissions, that 2.6 science will further hurt you.

SGU has become more difficult for low GPA applicants to receive admittance in the last few years, with some not even receiving an interview, but it would be one of the options to give you a better chance at getting in.

LMU-OPCVM has a whole thread of information on what is happening with the school, but in regard to GPA this is directly from their website:

"Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (on 4.0 scale) in all pre-professional coursework. Applicants not meeting this standard (Cumulative GPA of < 3.0) who have demonstrated a commitment to academic excellence in the last two years of study (most recent 60 semester hours) may be considered on a case-by-case basis. LMU-OPCVM uses the VMCAS calculated GPAs." DVM Application Process

Given that your cGPA and last 45 are the same, I do not believe that would give you a good chance at success.

Ross is the same as SGU in the sense it has gotten more difficult to receive admittance as a low GPA applicant. On the website, it only states the GRE as optional but recommended. I didn't even know Ross accepted CASPR scores, as I never sent mine to them when I applied. Overall, I think you would give yourself a much higher chance at admittance if you had a high GPA trajectory in your last 30-45 credits but it does seem like you are set on applying. Ross and SGU may offer you Vet Prep (which is not covered by federal loans), is that something you would consider doing if they offered it to you? Or would you re-apply the following year?
This is a very difficult process especially as a low GPA applicant so I understand it doesn't feel great when people say you have a low chance (trust me, I heard it from so so many people too). It is critical to apply strategically and intentionally to give yourself the best chance possible. Best of luck!
I see, no worries I understand! Thank you! My pre-requisite gpa is at a 3.5 I believe. I was thinking about applying to the vet-prep direct and yes it something I would do if offered.
 
Could you elaborate on your veterinary experience hours? Are they all in small animal GP, etc?

With low GPAs all around you will need outstanding and unique veterinary experience. If you don’t have this - I would hold off on applying this cycle and seek some as well as retaking courses you’ve done poorly in.

The Casper is unlikely to significantly positively impact your chances.
I don’t remeber exactly hrs at the moment but it, large animal, small animal and exotic GP and that’s it for get hrs. I have a lot of equine hrs of none vet since I am getting a minor in horse management