Pre-Vets making a living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wereweasel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum. I stumbled across it in a google search while looking for other students like me to talk to. I decided about 6 months ago that I was going to go for Vet Tech, and abouth a month later I decided to believe in myself and become a DVM.

I am in my second term of pre-reqs and so far still living at home. I am currently unemployed but after I finish a job for my sister I am going to hand out my resume to every clinic in the area.

My actual question is how have all of you pre-vets are supporting yourselves through school? I imagine many of you may be married and have a spouse's income, and some might be insane enough to have a full time job during school. What is everyone's story?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you asking non-trads, or people still finishing up their undergrad, or everyone in general? I know a lot of people are on loans, maybe with a part time job (or no job at all). I'm in my fourth year of undergrad, been living at home so I don't have to deal with housing costs, commute to school every day (about an hour drive). My dad pays tuition, I pay for everything else (books, supplies, car repairs, gas, food, clothes, cat supplies and insurance, parking). I've been paying for all of it by working different jobs full and part-time throughout the years. I worked full-time the first year, off-campus (my poor grades show it, haha). After that I switched to part-time, tutored, got fellowships from my lab, etc. Of course there are always people whose parents pay for everything including their tuition, housing, books, food, clothes, plus entertainment (they basically give them a credit card)...like my boyfriend and his roommate. And then of course there are people who struggle with financial aid and whose parents can't, or won't, help at all...

I guess I am asking everyone in general. Thank you for your response. I am fortunate enough that my dad pays my tuition and I pay for my books, but he's been hinting at not wanting to pay much longer.

I am currently going to a community college near my house but most likely in the Fall of next year I will be transferring to a university. So I am going to have to figure out how to pay for living costs and my own tuition. I will probably end up paying for most of it with loans, which is going to suck but unless I can find scholarships or something that might be pretty much my only choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got through undergrad pretty easy....qualified for scholarships, lived at home for part of it and dorms for part of it, had a part time job to pay for gas to commute and just to pay for fun stuff. For the most part my parents covered food/insurance/phone/etc. So the only other thing I had to pay for was books.

Now I'm out and married. We both work full time jobs but once I get into vet school there will be student loans. Even with an extra income we definitely don't make enough to pay for tuition/books out of pocket and I don't know if I'll be able to keep working or not.

I have found that some students are able to make some $ on the side by doing some scientific/medical writing. This won't pay all the bills, but it's always helpful to have some supplemental income.

I'm in the same boat as most of you...I'm living at home while completing my undergrad (just one more year!!! :D) and my parents pay for my tuition and insurance. I have 2 part time jobs which helps me pay for my books, gas, entertainment, pets (darn expensive critters! :p), etc. While it is tricky sometimes to schedule studying around class time and the jobs (don't even get me started on the (almost nonexistent) social life!! :p lol), it most definitely CAN be done!

Good luck!! :D

Last edited:
My first shot at undergrad (with a degree that proved less-than practical) I had a full scholarship, so money wasn't really an issue and I was able to make enough over the summers to carry me through the school year. Once I decided to try for vet school, I took a part-time job at a clinic, which is great in every area except for pay, and eventually had to move back in with the parental units due to financial reasons. It was kind of a blow to my ego, but it's definitely nice to be able to concentrate on things other than whether to pay rent or buy food each month.

I pay tuition, fees, books, insurance... Everything but car- I don't have one. I also am working on paying off some debt I ran up when I screwed up overseas a couple years ago. Living expenses aren't too bad- never over 400/ month through the coldest part of winter (1/2 rent, electric, internet, gas. Landlord pays water, sewer, trash. No landlines)

So I don't work at a clinic. I don't even work at the local people hospital- it doesn't pay well enough.

I do full time overnights at Wal-mart. Sad, I know, but between normal pay and every hour of overtime I can pick up, I can (just about) afford to meet all my bills, pay some stuff down, and cover most of my school expenses, so long as I stay under 10cr. Over that I have to pick up sub'd Staford's. Good thing tuition's cheap in WY.

-j.

I work at a people-hospital as a cardiac technician.
I'm also engaged and so am splitting bills like the car with my fiance, which helps. I make more than he does though... yay being poor college students.

My husband and I have always worked full time through school. It's what we had to do. This time around is no different.

I applied for some scholarships, and paid for the rest on loans. I went to my state school, so it wasn't as expensive as an out of state. I know you could see if they have RA or SA positions that pay for your housing costs ( I think this is in your junior or senior years though). You could also see if they have work-study programs through the school, where you work to pay off part of your housing/tuition. There are ways to help pay for tuition, you just have to do your research. Talk to the financial aid office at the university for several options. I was also able to participate in paid co-ops, where I could work AND get credits for working (just writing a paper about your work experience). etc etc.

I pay tuition, fees, books, insurance... Everything but car- I don't have one. I also am working on paying off some debt I ran up when I screwed up overseas a couple years ago. Living expenses aren't too bad- never over 400/ month through the coldest part of winter (1/2 rent, electric, internet, gas. Landlord pays water, sewer, trash. No landlines)

Hahah, this is only mildly related--I walked by an ad in one of our bathrooms today advertising rent for "only $1500/month!" Gotta love Los Angeles.

I'd rather live in LA, splitting a studio with 4 people than live here- but no jobs.

Le sigh.

j.