Pre-writing Secondaries: Which schools will I hear from first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm working on pre-writing my secondaries. I'm wondering which schools tend to send out secondaries the soonest so that I can prioritize which ones I write first. Which schools don't pre-screen? (FYI I'm applying to: Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago, NYU, Mt Sinai, Baylor, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Hofstra, Tulane, Tufts, Brown, and all of the UCs). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Few schools pre-screen, other than the ucs. You can check the school-specific threads to see which schools send pre- vs post- verification

Hi guys! I'm working on pre-writing my secondaries. I'm wondering which schools tend to send out secondaries the soonest so that I can prioritize which ones I write first. Which schools don't pre-screen? (FYI I'm applying to: Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago, NYU, Mt Sinai, Baylor, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Hofstra, Tulane, Tufts, Brown, and all of the UCs). Thanks!
Rather than prioritizing secondaries by which schools respond first, you should consider prioritizing by which schools tend to run out of interviews first. This is something that I wish I had known last year. Just for examples based on the above list you posted, NYU wraps up interviewing by December and so finishes giving out interview invitations even earlier, so an earlier complete app would be helpful. Chicago, on the other hand, gives out interview invitations even in January (which is when I received mine), so a slightly later secondary submission won't hurt you as much.

Reactions: 1 users