• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

phoboi83

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I was just wondering if anyone here got accepted to dental school after only about 2 years of undergraduate taking only prerequitsites? If so, to what schools and what are your stats if you don't mind sharing. Thank you!

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Not I...I took my long ass time to get through school and I don't regret one beer guzzling, party-going, wasted border crossing moment of it.

But I met a kid in the 5 year Pacific program (2 years at UOP undergrad and 3 years at Pacific dental). I think you can contact UOP to ask what they require the scores of applicants in that 2 year program are in order to get admitted to the Pacific Dental program afterward.

Also, UNLV once accepted a brother sister pair (twins I think) who were 18 or 19. They were both geniuses who graduated high school and did a couple years of college and went stright into dental school.

UJ007

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Whats the rush? Enjoy yourself, goof off, act stupid, get drunk as much as you possibly can. You'll be working your whole life enjoy college!!

About the Ads

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
OC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
seriously...enjoy the time you spend in college. It will never come back
and you'll miss it someday.

LNinlove

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Most schools require a minimum of 90 hours...and 30 have to be upper division hours. The reason I am applying without a bachelors is because I am 25 and ready to go...

Why drag it out and party if you know what you want to do...:confused:

EnviroDentist

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Not I, but I know a guy who did it. He went to summer school for 3 years and graduated in three years with a microbiology degree. I think he also had lots of AP and IB credit and aced the DAT. Good luck!

muz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
2 of my classmates finished college in 2 years...3 of us graduated in 3 years...and 2 didnt graduate-left in 3 years tho (dont worry they mad smart!)

PreDentHopeful

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I don't know of anyone who did it in 2, but I did it in three (I mean pre-dent and bachelors degree). My DATs are pretty avg (in 20s but not too hot, my PAT was 17 :() but I have 3.8 GPA and 4.0 in all my upper lever classes. Oh, and my degree was in microbiology.

soswank

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Technically you CAN do your pre-reqs in two years. You would have to take separate classes in different colleges because the pre-reqs are based on eachother. Additionally, you would be taking about 15 credits at least for all three semesters a year to do this. If you think you can handle it, and get all A's and score above 20 ave on the DAT, you are golden. Otherwise, don't rusth things. Focus on your pre-reqs, apply to dental schools and in the process finish your BS. With the # of applicants applying, all the dental schools are preferring student with bachelors under their belts. Hope this clears up, good luck.

Regarding the UNLV prodigees, they are not twins, but one of them was 18 when the student got accepted. ;)

muz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
have a good time...life is too short

i dont regret graduating and goin to d-school in 3 yrs but i wish i had done more....

J

jackbauer!

as many of the above have said....stick it out for 4 years getting your BS/BA. college is awesome......

jb!:)

purduephigam

SuPurdueper Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2006
Suburbia
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Obviously we have all said to enjoy college. They really are the best years of your life. The experiences, the friends, and the opportunity are truly unforgettable. Other than the wonderful years of college, let's say you DID get in after 2 years of pre-dent requisites. First of all, in case no one wondered, 2 years isn't that much time (relative to your professional career) to realize whether or not your passion lies in the field of dentistry. Second, pre-reqs are just that, pre-reqs. They aren't very advanced and don't give you near the depth and detail in order to set a solid foundation of concepts of anatomy, physio, and pharmacologic mechanisms. Even though you'll take these upper level-type courses in dental school, after just taking organic and general biology you will surely be in for a rude awakening. Stress will mount up fast.

Point is, I've heard a handful of stories with so-called "pre-req" kids who maintained excellent numbers while in undergrad, but had no prior knowledge in the advanced sciences. Once you take these upper-level, supplemental courses in undergrad, it'll make the dental school ride a little more feasible. If you've only taken pre-reqs, well then you better buckle up.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.