predental in 2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoboi83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here got accepted to dental school after only about 2 years of undergraduate taking only prerequitsites? If so, to what schools and what are your stats if you don't mind sharing. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not I...I took my long ass time to get through school and I don't regret one beer guzzling, party-going, wasted border crossing moment of it.

But I met a kid in the 5 year Pacific program (2 years at UOP undergrad and 3 years at Pacific dental). I think you can contact UOP to ask what they require the scores of applicants in that 2 year program are in order to get admitted to the Pacific Dental program afterward.

Also, UNLV once accepted a brother sister pair (twins I think) who were 18 or 19. They were both geniuses who graduated high school and did a couple years of college and went stright into dental school.

Whats the rush? Enjoy yourself, goof off, act stupid, get drunk as much as you possibly can. You'll be working your whole life enjoy college!!

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously...enjoy the time you spend in college. It will never come back
and you'll miss it someday.

Most schools require a minimum of 90 hours...and 30 have to be upper division hours. The reason I am applying without a bachelors is because I am 25 and ready to go...

Why drag it out and party if you know what you want to do...:confused:

Not I, but I know a guy who did it. He went to summer school for 3 years and graduated in three years with a microbiology degree. I think he also had lots of AP and IB credit and aced the DAT. Good luck!

2 of my classmates finished college in 2 years...3 of us graduated in 3 years...and 2 didnt graduate-left in 3 years tho (dont worry they mad smart!)

I don't know of anyone who did it in 2, but I did it in three (I mean pre-dent and bachelors degree). My DATs are pretty avg (in 20s but not too hot, my PAT was 17 :() but I have 3.8 GPA and 4.0 in all my upper lever classes. Oh, and my degree was in microbiology.

Technically you CAN do your pre-reqs in two years. You would have to take separate classes in different colleges because the pre-reqs are based on eachother. Additionally, you would be taking about 15 credits at least for all three semesters a year to do this. If you think you can handle it, and get all A's and score above 20 ave on the DAT, you are golden. Otherwise, don't rusth things. Focus on your pre-reqs, apply to dental schools and in the process finish your BS. With the # of applicants applying, all the dental schools are preferring student with bachelors under their belts. Hope this clears up, good luck.

Regarding the UNLV prodigees, they are not twins, but one of them was 18 when the student got accepted. ;)

have a good time...life is too short

i dont regret graduating and goin to d-school in 3 yrs but i wish i had done more....

as many of the above have said....stick it out for 4 years getting your BS/BA. college is awesome......

jb!:)

Obviously we have all said to enjoy college. They really are the best years of your life. The experiences, the friends, and the opportunity are truly unforgettable. Other than the wonderful years of college, let's say you DID get in after 2 years of pre-dent requisites. First of all, in case no one wondered, 2 years isn't that much time (relative to your professional career) to realize whether or not your passion lies in the field of dentistry. Second, pre-reqs are just that, pre-reqs. They aren't very advanced and don't give you near the depth and detail in order to set a solid foundation of concepts of anatomy, physio, and pharmacologic mechanisms. Even though you'll take these upper level-type courses in dental school, after just taking organic and general biology you will surely be in for a rude awakening. Stress will mount up fast.

Point is, I've heard a handful of stories with so-called "pre-req" kids who maintained excellent numbers while in undergrad, but had no prior knowledge in the advanced sciences. Once you take these upper-level, supplemental courses in undergrad, it'll make the dental school ride a little more feasible. If you've only taken pre-reqs, well then you better buckle up.