Predicament with Letter of Recommendations.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

penicillinman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work in an ER and had approached three doctors to write a LOR for me and two previous employers. All of them agreed but literally all of them asked me to draft a letter and they would make changes and sign it. I was able to write up the two letters for managers and one for the doctor but I am feeling like the remaining two doctor drafts are sounding too alike. I understand that this is a norm where physicians ask you to draft up letters but also afraid that they wont make many changes and these letters will end up sounding like they are written by the same people. I wish I could ask them to just write it all up but I understand they are all busy in their lives and do not want to offend them. Any advice on how to go about ? Anyone have any drafts they are able to share ?
 
I work in an ER and had approached three doctors to write a LOR for me and two previous employers. All of them agreed but literally all of them asked me to draft a letter and they would make changes and sign it. I was able to write up the two letters for managers and one for the doctor but I am feeling like the remaining two doctor drafts are sounding too alike. I understand that this is a norm where physicians ask you to draft up letters but also afraid that they wont make many changes and these letters will end up sounding like they are written by the same people. I wish I could ask them to just write it all up but I understand they are all busy in their lives and do not want to offend them. Any advice on how to go about ? Anyone have any drafts they are able to share ?
Multiple letters saying more or less the same thing (because they've observed you in the same setting) aren't very helpful. Are there other folks who have observed you in other settings? Alternatively, see if they'll be up for doing a joint letter, which would relieve the predicament you're in. This way you'll end up with a physician letter, a manager letter, professor letter(s), and perhaps a research letter or something.
 
Last edited:
Multiple letters saying more or less the same thing (because they've observed you in the same setting) aren't very helpful. Are there other folks who have observed you in other settings? Alternatively, see if they'll be up for doing a joint letter, which would relieve the predicament you're in. This way you'll end up with a physician letter, a manager letter, professor letter(s), and perhaps a research letter or something.
The joint letter is a good idea.